Stationary Bike Calorie counter (doubts)

Options
I have a question guys, and I'd appreciate a lot if you could answer it for me!

Well, I have a turbo stationary bike. When I finish doing my excersice there, In the screen, on the cal box, i can see.. cals burned= 31
but when I log the minutes here in my fitness pal, it says numbers like 321 cals burned. Which one is the correct amount of cals given?

(sorry for spelling mistakes, but my main language is spanish.=

Replies

• ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i use a stationary bike quite a bit and on my calorie counter on the bike it is very close to mfp, im sure you burned more than 31 calories
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    There's always a discrepancy between systems. But this one doesn't make much sense! Do you have your bike programmed with your weight, age, etc? 31 calories???
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Stationary bikes are WAY off.

Mine usually says about 50 calories after a half hour.

My heart rate monitor says about 250.

I'd say you burn about 7-10 calories per minute on the bike.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Well, it depends on how long you were exercising, but I'm pretty sure you burned more that 31!! If you did it for an hour I would say
    that the would be correct, or there abouts. Good job.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    It all depends on how much you are putting into your workout. For instance if I walk on the treadmill for an hour and plug it in here it gives me the same number as when I am walking at about 4 mph. But if I was actually only walking at 1.5 then the calories used would be much less than what MFP is giving me credit for.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't take into account your level of effort. My stationary bike has 16 levels and I burn a LOT more calories at the higher levels than the lower. I wouldn't use MFP's numbers, to be honest.

On the other hand, the calorie count my bike gives seemed pretty reasonable, and it does get your weight before you start your ride, but once I got my HRM re-batteried (I hadn't used it in years before starting here this Spring) I found that the bike's reading is about 1/3 too low. In other words, if the bike says I burned 100 calories, my HRM says about 130-140.
  • kraig1967
    Options
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedcycling.htm

Use this site as a rouigh guide only, calories burned is dependant on the amont of effort you put in, a heart rate monitor will help you track a more accurate figure