help with brownies

ameyc2002
ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
i have a box of brownie mix and i have read you can cut down the fat a bit using applesauce instead of oil.. my ? is do i still use the egg or is the applesauce instead of both?

if anyone else has tried them this way please let me know how they have turned out

Replies

• uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    i have and used the egg... came out great and no one ever knew... also have used nutella
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    I've never tried this, but I know you just replace the oil with applesauce and still use the egg. :)
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    I never use oil, only a single serving applesauce in its place. ;)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    i substitute the egg with a 1/3 cup of applesauce mixed with a bit (to your liking) of ground flax seed.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    I still put in the egg. I have used all applesauce for the oil or 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 oil. Either way they turn out great!!
  • JulieSD
    I have read on here that you can replace all the extras with a can of diet cola. It just makes them more fudgey :s
  • ameyc2002
    thanks the nutella sounds wonderful but thats one thing i shouldnt keep in my house.... too hard to resist :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Use the egg. the consistency is going to be more cake like but WAY better for you calorie wise without the oil
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    I haven't made brownies this way, but I do it with muffins all the time - substitute the egg with Egg Beaters, and the oil with applesauce.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    You can also mix with a can of pumpkin. So good and when mixed with chocolate, it doesn't taste like pumpkin.
  • JulieSD
    You can also mix with a can of pumpkin. So good and when mixed with chocolate, it doesn't taste like pumpkin.

I've been thinking about this for a while. The pumpkin replaces all the extras (water, applesauce and egg) right?
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member

I've been thinking about this for a while. The pumpkin replaces all the extras (water, applesauce and egg) right?

Yep - the consistency comes out very cake-like.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    I have read on here that you can replace all the extras with a can of diet cola. It just makes them more fudgey :s

I have never tried that with brownies, but I do it with cake mix to make cupcakes all the time - lemon cake mix with diet sierra mist, or diet crush. 71 calories per cupcake, you can't beat that :)
  • JulieSD

Yep - the consistency comes out very cake-like.

Awesome, thanks!
  • Don't forget to try the Black bean brownies - SUPER easy & adds fiber! I've made these for events and no one knows! Just blend a full can of blackbeans to liquid (Undrained) and mix w/mix and that's it! No oil, eggs, etc.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Don't forget to try the Black bean brownies - SUPER easy & adds fiber! I've made these for events and no one knows! Just blend a full can of blackbeans to liquid (Undrained) and mix w/mix and that's it! No oil, eggs, etc.

I was going to mention this too. I found mine to be a little dry, but I drained them then added back in a bit of water, like 4oz. I later read diet soda could also be used, or just more water. but the taste was great!
  • someone once told me to use black beans...let me know if you'd like the recipe. I'll see if I can find it.
  • ameyc2002
    thanks everyone, last night i tried the brownies using apple sauce instead of the oil.. usually a pan of brownies in my house doesnt last long but these were not very good... they werent disgusting but knowone in the family wanted a second one and was like what did you do to the brownies they dont taste good...

so i wouldnt recommend using the applesauce not a good combo with brownies
  • you can also use a small can of pumpkin. just the powder mix and the pumpkin. use a hand mixer. make sure you bake for the max amount of time.

you can use pumpkin in all your dry cake mixes also. yummy.
  • JulieSD
    I bought pumpkin and a brownie mix today! lol