I'm gonna fall down tomorrow - yell at me so I don't! :)

Options
So...tomorrow I'm supposed to make my mother a birthday cake. She wants my special brownie cherry cheesecake, and I show my love by cooking. I love to make things from scratch instead of buying things pre-made or baking from a box. My problem is - cherry cheesecake is my FAVORITE! And what I'm making her is like 550 calories a slice. And my sister is making mexican chicken casserole, another high calorie favorite. SO....do I just eat what I want and work my tail off at the gym, or try to be good? I don't think I can be good people - these are 2 of my "if you could only eat _____ for the rest of your life" foods. Help me LOL

Replies

• smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    try smaller portions and work out so you don't feel guilty
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I say take one day off and then get back on track...I did that for a congrats thing this weekend. Or, enjoy in moderation. OR, try to say no!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Ok I may get slapped here, but we all deserve to enjoy ourselves...so how about meeting in the middle...you know you LOVE these foods so instead of being miserable and avoiding them, try eating a little of each. Or maybe make a deal with yourself to eat more of one than the other.

Drink plenty of water all day tomorrow and the next day and workout extra hard...
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Candice you can stay strong. Eat before you leave home to reduce your intake at the party. Don't want to sabotage your weight loss.

• Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I want THAT recipe!! Sounds super yumm-o!!!

Back to your question.. I say eat it! You can not deprive yourself of things you love. This is not a diet but a new way of life and what is life without our favorite foods. You just need to control portion size and not do it everyday. Remember.. even skinny people eat cake!
  • BecomingMyself
    Options
    I say eat and enjoy the family gathering. Just count tomorrow as a free day.
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Options
    I'm a sucker for sweets, so I say have a little as a reward for making it this far. If you can get in an extra workout then bonus! But don't beat yourself up over it, you deserve a treat every now and then!!!:smile:
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I say eat and enjoy yourself. What's one splurge day, just get back on track the next day :) If you feel super guilty, just don't eat as much of everything
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions; take the day off; a little... and burn off the excess at the gym! Enjoy!
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    I agree with the majority here- go ahead and eat a bit of your favorites. Maybe bring along a low cal dish that you can fill up on before you get to the favorites. And work out a little extra to make up for some of it.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up over it- you don't have to avoid things, just go into it with a plan!
  • boeronline
    boeronline Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go the other end of the spectrum. Drink plenty of water, eat healthy snacks BEFORE you start baking.

IF you are one that can have a couple of bites just for the taste of it and then stop, then great do that.

For me, I can't have that first bite because then I'll have the whole piece and go back for the 2nd piece while no one is looking.

You know yourself better than anyone. What do you think you should do.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If this is a "once in a great while" kind of thing, I say enjoy yourself. It IS your mom's birthday, after all. Eat smaller portions than you once would have but don't avoid the foods you love entirely. MFP is about making a lifestyle change and cherry cheesecake and Mexican chicken casserole happen. Thank goodness! You shouldn't have to completely give up the foods you love for the rest of your life. We are all learning just to enjoy them in moderation.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    How bad do you want to reach your goal? We all have "moments", but some good advice has already been offered - eat something good for you before you go and then eat smaller portions while you're there. Also keep your water bottle close and drink lots of water. That way you're not sacrificing completely but you're not going overboard to have major regret later... My two cents. :flowerforyou:
  • SusanneWhittington
    Options
    just don't pig out, enjoy the day, work out harder, but don't forbid yourself all the good stuff or you will fall off the wagon easy. Happy Birthday to your Mom. AND I WANT SOME OF THAT CAKE TOOOOOO!!! That sounds divine.
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    Don't totally deprive yourself or you won't stick to it. Allow yourself to have a small slice, plan for a good 30 minutes on the treadmill and enjoy. If you deprive yourself of everything that you love, you won't stick to it.
  • venom74799
    Options
    I agree that you should take the day off and use portion control. If you exercise then just ramp it up a bit or eat something super healthy for a few meals to balance it out.

You shouldn't have to feel bad or sad if you work your tail off all week and want to take a day off for a meal or dessert. This isn't a race or some boot camp. This is working with a manageable way of life for life. The air quality here in Texas is awful, but we don't stop breathing because its unhealthy.
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can just eat smaller portions, do your work-out and allot for the calories before you eat a bite of anything for the day. That way you know what you have to work with for breakfast and lunch. If you know you're going to have 2 of your favorite things, then eating light the other 2 meals will be that much easier. I see people on here all the time, eating under their calorie goal, but having like 4 or 5 food items the ENTIRE day, including an 800 calorie McDonald's meal. How they go with so little food-food so often is beyond me, but you can do it this once. But remember, everyone in your family has a birthday, graduation, Communion, going-away party... you can't splurge for every celebration.
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I diagree with the thought of saying make it a free day. That kind of mentality is what landed me here in the first place.
    However, I do agree with this is a lifestyle we are trying to achieve so here is my 2 cents.
    Take some veggies that you can fill your plate with and maybe some extra veggies you can grab to nibble on when tempted to eat more than you should. Fill your plate at least half with veggies, a little bit of that special chicken and then have a very small piece of the cake. Drink lots of water. Spend a lot of time talking instead of eating. Here is the important part. Rally people together and walk together. It's a great way to bond. But most important don't take home ANY left overs. Oh yes Have a great time and do take lots of pictures.
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    Go for it. I know people say to eat before you go so you will eat less but since these are your FAVORITE foods, it's not realistic IMO. For many of us, we got to the point of needing to make lifestyle changes because we overindulged or ate when we weren't hungry. If they are your favorite foods and you haven't eaten them in a while, you may eat some even if you aren't hungry so I say, skip the eating before, and treat yourself to some of those delicious sounding dishes. You will not undo all that you have done in one day. Enjoy it, and make up for it later, just don't make this an everyday habit :)
  • un4gvn2
    Options
    Do your regular workout and enjoy your favorites. If you are worried, maybe start out with 1/2 portions, drink your water and walk away from the table. Maybe go for a walk with your Mom & sister, play cards, anything .... - just get the focus off the food.

I have found if I am craving something and don't eat it, I usually end up eating 10 other things trying to satisfy the craving.

Celebrate your healthy lifestyle and your family !!!