What do you do when you feel down?

Options
2»

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I either listen to music.. or play video games. Something to get my mind off what's bothering me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    You're feeling depressed. Healthy, good for you foods do nothing for your appetite. You don't want to touch them and would almost rather not eat a meal even though you're hungry. Chips, and not very good for you foods sound highly appealing, and you're not sure if you'll be able to stop after a little bit of them. You're lacking motivation with your weight loss and not sure you can be confident with controlling yourself around food.

.... What do you do to keep from sabotaging your weight loss goals?
    I watch a comedy if I feel a little under the weather. It's hard to get me down. I'm naturally an optimistic person.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are talking about but when I am having one of those days..... this is what I do.

I look up success stories on MFP read my friends feed where they have logged their exercise.

Then I got speed walk for 30-45 minutes. Exercise/walking releases serotonin in the body and helps with those feelings.

By the time I get back inside and log my exercise calories, those feelings are gone.

But I have to tell you... yesterday I was a little down when I headed out for my walk/jog. I walk and jog in our subdivision which backs up to two different schools. I went around both schools heading back to my house and there is a hill/slight incline. I saw a man in a wheel chair over on the side and pushing himself up the hill with difficulty going real slow. I had previously been thinking if I can get these 40 pounds off, I will not have such a difficult time walking/jogging this route. Out of no where I felt horrible for being so selfish that I was worried about loosing weight and then there is a man in wheel chair that would give anything to walk but he is pushing with all his might to make it up the hill. I actually stopped and had a mini cry right out in the middle of a school zone with traffic going by and everything. He made it up the hill and was already on his way home by the time I made it up the hill. (have no idea why I am telling this)

Anyway, maybe you need exercise and cry. Food is not the answer.

You can do this!

Aww I probably would have felt the same way after seeing that man in the wheelchair. Maybe we just need to feel more grateful for the bodies we do have, rather than the bodies we want, and just work on improving what we can.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Music! It depends on why I feel down?

Am I upset with my job/life situation? -I Hate My Life by Theory Of A Deadman
    Am I pissed at the ex for not paying child support? - So What by Pink
    Is it just a general funk? - American Honey by Lady Antebellum
    Am I upset with my body image? - Who Says by Selena Gomez

There is a song for every feeling, for every emotion...my channeling my feelings into the songs lyrics I always feel better.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I look back and see how far I've gone..and then I get angry at myself for thinking that way and I tear it up at the gym..that seems to help me..cause I notice I am in a better mood after..in fact I may feel super exhausted, but I feel sooo much better after..but that's just me..Hope it helps..:flowerforyou:
  • SweetTayta
    SweetTayta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I eat I've tried others but it doesn't work ...I just & then I feel worse bcuz I've eaten
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are talking about but when I am having one of those days..... this is what I do.

I look up success stories on MFP read my friends feed where they have logged their exercise.

Then I got speed walk for 30-45 minutes. Exercise/walking releases serotonin in the body and helps with those feelings.

By the time I get back inside and log my exercise calories, those feelings are gone.

But I have to tell you... yesterday I was a little down when I headed out for my walk/jog. I walk and jog in our subdivision which backs up to two different schools. I went around both schools heading back to my house and there is a hill/slight incline. I saw a man in a wheel chair over on the side and pushing himself up the hill with difficulty going real slow. I had previously been thinking if I can get these 40 pounds off, I will not have such a difficult time walking/jogging this route. Out of no where I felt horrible for being so selfish that I was worried about loosing weight and then there is a man in wheel chair that would give anything to walk but he is pushing with all his might to make it up the hill. I actually stopped and had a mini cry right out in the middle of a school zone with traffic going by and everything. He made it up the hill and was already on his way home by the time I made it up the hill. (have no idea why I am telling this)

Anyway, maybe you need exercise and cry. Food is not the answer.

You can do this!

This is very inspiring.

Exercise and a cry. both together or alone will cure anything:wink:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options

There is a song for every feeling, for every emotion...my channeling my feelings into the songs lyrics I always feel better.

Like^^
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I run. The natural endorphins always make me feel better and give me an appetite.
    Find an exercise you enjoy and go for it! Dance, walk, swim, box, run, ride....whatever you like, it should help.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Always a good idea! Thanks for the options
  • ukrob
    Options
    talk to close friends
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I write short stories. I also vent to people.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    You're feeling depressed. Healthy, good for you foods do nothing for your appetite. You don't want to touch them and would almost rather not eat a meal even though you're hungry. Chips, and not very good for you foods sound highly appealing, and you're not sure if you'll be able to stop after a little bit of them. You're lacking motivation with your weight loss and not sure you can be confident with controlling yourself around food.

.... What do you do to keep from sabotaging your weight loss goals?

I go walk/jog. clear my mind of depressing thoughts.