You don't look like you need to lose weight. Huh?

Options
"You don't look like you need to lose weight."

I heard this compliment again tonight. However, my muffin top is still very obvious. I don't doubt their sincerity, but I do doubt their eyesight. :-)

Has anyone had a similar experience? What has been your reaction?

Replies

• laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been telling them that it's my body and I know what weight I need to be healthy and comfortable. Thank you for your concern.
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    it's all in how you carry yourself...

and i'd be realllllly happy with a muffin top... i'm trying to get rid of the whole damn bakery :drinker:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing that since I went from obese to overweight based on BMI. I think the problem is most people today have little idea what a healthy weight looks like. I know I am not there and probably won't be until I am lower than the goal I set originally.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

and i'd be realllllly happy with a muffin top... i'm trying to get rid of the whole damn bakery :drinker:
    word

Muffin tops are easily hidden.......beachball bellies, not so much.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Meh - I'm doing this to meet my own standards of beauty and health and I don't expect that others share them. I have friends who, I'm sure, imagine I should be more ambitious and those that think I should be less. Whatever. In that situation I thank people for their compliment (as was their intention I presume) and continue on.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different view of what looks good. I had people tell me that, and mean it, when I was 100 lbs. overweight. :/ Now I'm beginning to hear it a lot with at LEAST 40 left to go. People all have different perceptions.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yes ... been there heard that. However I have a different view of what my body should look like and it doesn't include a muffin top. Thanks for the compliment :-)

The whole damn bakery .... hahaha!
  • pegglesw
    Options
    I get told that all the time...............I find I explain to them that I am within
    norms of weight for my age and height, Its my body fat % is off the charts.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just had my mom who is 50 pounds lighter than me (only one inch shorter) say she didn't think I needed to lose much more. I appreciate that she thinks I look a lot better than I did, but why would she tell me that? It's like, ok honey, that's great that you've gotten sorta healthy, you should definitely stop now...
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I got that same response today at work with my coworker. I just started working there on Wednesday and we were talkin bout motivation and weight loss and i was like i need to lose 25lbs and she answered back with "from where?!" I know how to dress my body as to not show my "problem areas" because i absolutely hate them, but this muffin top i carry doesn't go away when i take my clothes off, lmao. I think i'm just gonna keep my mouth shut from now on because people don't see me the way i see myself.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

:) ^^ haha!!

I would just say you'd like to tone up and keep on being healthy!
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I tell my brother this. He recently lost 200 lbs and he said that when he looks in the mirror, he still sees a fat guy. That kind of thinking leads to eating disorders and taking size way too far. He is already the lowest he has been since junior high. He is 6'1 220. He is healthy and looks good. Sure he isn't all toned but that is different than weight loss. He hasn't stepped foot in a gym the entire time he has been losing. He is on medifast and isn't allowed to workout. When he transitions out and finally goes back to the gym he will look amazing. He is under the impression that he needs to keep losing and stay on medifast. No matter how much more weight he loses, it isn't going to tone him.

So when people say, "you dont look like you need to lose weight." its because you look good and healthy and losing weight isn't going to change you body any. Working out and toning is what you really want, not to keep dropping weight and most people dont look at someone and think, they need a supermodel body. If you are in a decent porportion to the rest of your body, you are healthy, then you are fine at your weight. Most people are probably dying to just be your size.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I still have 23 pounds to go...and people keep telling me I'll be to skinny. I just say thanks and keep going. I know where I want to be and what it's going to take to get there. People are being nice but I know the truth...LOL
  • tarcia
    tarcia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Problem is that most folks wear there clothes too tight and you can see every dimple! Most people tell me that I don't look like I weight 170. But agaain I wear clothes that fit and not cut off my circulation.
  • Sallyismyname
    Sallyismyname Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    LOL on the Bakery comment :) That's awesome :) I get the whole "you don't need to lose weight" comment all of the time. I am flattered when I hear this... then I remember... I see myself in the shower. I see my gut when I sit down in the car and go to buckle up. I feel my lower half jiggle when I run. mmm hmmm. So... With clothes, standing still, spanks on, and sucking in, yeah I look great. Unfortunately, I can't shower with my spanks. And I have to live with MYSELF for the rest of my life. So, while it's flattering, it's your body. If you want to lose some pounds and tone up, you are the one who makes that decision. And then people won't say you look good or fine, they will say great or amazing :) And you will believe it :)
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    if asked, i would say that i don't think most of the people on here need to lose weight, but i know it can be demotivating so i keep it to myself :P
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too, or people don't believe how much I weigh. Well, I'm not going to lie and say I weigh MORE!! That's just craziness! Because I'm 6ft., they just don't see it. Plus, I've found that a lot of tall people are heavy, so in comparison, I might not look "big." I'm not going for a pound goal so much as a size/health goal. I'm focusing more on measurements at this point!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

awww....lol... u too funny!! hang in there.. u will get there!!!:smile:
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    i've heard this a lot, esp when i tell ppl how much i want to lose. back in feb 11 i was 5' 3" and 200lbs i FELT like a whale, but nobody seemed to think my goal of losing 50lbs was "necessary." now im down to about 180 and ppl still look at me like o.O when i say i have 40 more i'd like to lose. it really is all about how you feel about your body and how healthy you actually are. from my real friends i know they only want to make sure i don't get too skinny. from others i just take it with a grain of salt.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think it may be because it's normal for people to be at the high end of their weight range or at the least, slightly over weight. If you look healthy to someone they'll probably think that wanting to lose weight is vanity. If someone were to look at me now I doubt that'd know that gaining less than a pound would have me in the overweight category for my height.

Even crazier than having someone say that I don't need to lose weight... I had someone tell me that I don't look like I need to exercise! No matter what size you are you should have some activity in your life just to stay healthy.