New here too

robsgal
robsgal Posts: 50 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm new here! Dh and I are going to try to loose some of the darn weight that was so easy to put on, I just wish it was going to be as easy to take it off.

About me, I lost about 25 lbs in 2007 and kept it off until this past fall, since i've gained about 8 lbs back and I'm really mad at myself, but I need to get over it and fit back into my jeans. I'm currently 170lbs and 5'7", my goal is to loose another 20, (maybe 10 more when I get down to 150 but we'll see then. Personally I think i'll look great at 150 and my BMI will be where it needs to be, but I may change my mind).

Dh just found out before Christmas that he has type 2 diabetes. He was warned that he was on his way to getting diabetes a year and a half ago, but did nothing to stop it to my dismay. Now I think he's finally ready to make the right changes, we have a 14 month old daughter so I really hope he does it this time. I decided awhile back that I cannot force him to loose weight, he needs to take care of himself. I just shop and cook healthy and if he want's more fattening things he has to go get it himself. Actually DH and I have a big issue with portion control, not necessarily sweets or fried things.

So anyhow, I exercise 5-6 times a week, dh hasn't in the past but now he plans to get on the treadmill for 30 minutes everyday which is a great start and I'm thrilled with this. I figure if he commits to 30 minutes a day he'll push himself to do better as his energy increases. When we first met he was jogging 4 miles a day (but quit soon after we met 9 years ago), so I know he's got it in him to do get fit again, he just needs to make a few lifestyle changes.

We'll be starting a plan that originally worked for me and should be healthy for DH's diabetes. Basically it consists of NO sugars (or sugars in hiding-all those things ending in (ose), high fructose corn syrups, "enriched" wheat products, partially hydrogenated oils, starchy foods, white pasta's, fatty meats etc....just whole grains, lots of fiber, fruits & veggies, lighter meats etc...wish us luck!

Replies

• robsgal
    robsgal Posts: 50 Member
    Hi, I'm new here! Dh and I are going to try to loose some of the darn weight that was so easy to put on, I just wish it was going to be as easy to take it off.

About me, I lost about 25 lbs in 2007 and kept it off until this past fall, since i've gained about 8 lbs back and I'm really mad at myself, but I need to get over it and fit back into my jeans. I'm currently 170lbs and 5'7", my goal is to loose another 20, (maybe 10 more when I get down to 150 but we'll see then. Personally I think i'll look great at 150 and my BMI will be where it needs to be, but I may change my mind).

Dh just found out before Christmas that he has type 2 diabetes. He was warned that he was on his way to getting diabetes a year and a half ago, but did nothing to stop it to my dismay. Now I think he's finally ready to make the right changes, we have a 14 month old daughter so I really hope he does it this time. I decided awhile back that I cannot force him to loose weight, he needs to take care of himself. I just shop and cook healthy and if he want's more fattening things he has to go get it himself. Actually DH and I have a big issue with portion control, not necessarily sweets or fried things.

So anyhow, I exercise 5-6 times a week, dh hasn't in the past but now he plans to get on the treadmill for 30 minutes everyday which is a great start and I'm thrilled with this. I figure if he commits to 30 minutes a day he'll push himself to do better as his energy increases. When we first met he was jogging 4 miles a day (but quit soon after we met 9 years ago), so I know he's got it in him to do get fit again, he just needs to make a few lifestyle changes.

We'll be starting a plan that originally worked for me and should be healthy for DH's diabetes. Basically it consists of NO sugars (or sugars in hiding-all those things ending in (ose), high fructose corn syrups, "enriched" wheat products, partially hydrogenated oils, starchy foods, white pasta's, fatty meats etc....just whole grains, lots of fiber, fruits & veggies, lighter meats etc...wish us luck!
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Welcome to MFP! This is the right place to be to lose your weight and get motivation and support! I wish you both luck!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Hi & welcome! :smile:

I'm with you, lost my weight & then slowly let it creep back! :explode: The calorie counter & people here are awesome thougth! Good luck to you! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.