Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

clean eating help please!!!!

2»

Replies

• dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    A great start dawny17. It's a gradual progression, particularly with feeding a family with many tastes and prejudices. Other things to try:

Switch from pre-packaged spice kits (stew seasoning, taco seasoning, etc.) to the bulk individual spices, such as chili powder and cumin along with the others. This gets rid of a lot of hidden salt in your diet along with other additives. Use fresh herbs from the produce department rather than dried, such as cilantro/coriander, garlic, basil, etc.

I am personally not someone who likes to eat just vegetables, so I mix them in what I am cooking and do more pilaf style dishes.

Love this....:love: I actually work at a perennial farm, and this year we planted up spice patio planters. People can have fresh spices to pick right off their patios, instead of buying the packaged fresh herbs and only be able to keep them a week or so. and of course the only one I brought home was basil. I actually just harvested the whole planter the other day and dried the leaves in my dehydrator......Guess who is going to bring home the other herbs we offer :happy:

I guess I'm like the plumber that has a drippy faucet, or the carpenter that has a broke door step.......right in front of my face and never bothered with it.
  • dawny17
    was thinking of trying to make my own pasta....my kitchen aide has that attatchment....Anyone make their own?
    Just wondering if it's a lot of work...and is the packaged pasta really that bad for us?

I've read many places to make/cook home made in stead of packaged stuff because of all the chemicals that the companies put in to increase the shelf life.

PS I love the gracious pantry, and subscribe to Clean eating mag already....they are my biggest resources.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Not trying to be negative, but I don't see how switching from table salt to sea salt helps.

Sea salt has a better flavor so you use less and it also contains trace minerals that are beneficial.

I'd rather get Iodine from table salt which is necessary for proper thyroid function, which controls metabolism, than an insignificant amount of trace minerals from sea salt which varies greatly depending which sea water source it is evaporated from.

The Iodine that is fortified in regular table salt is not necessary. There are more than trace minerals found in sea salt, it is actually very nutritious - especially if you start using the different colored salts which I do.

There is a Red Hawaiian sea salt and a Himalayan pink sea salt that I absolutely love on fish, chicken and vegetables.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    was thinking of trying to make my own pasta....my kitchen aide has that attatchment....Anyone make their own?
    Just wondering if it's a lot of work...and is the packaged pasta really that bad for us?

I've read many places to make/cook home made in stead of packaged stuff because of all the chemicals that the companies put in to increase the shelf life.

PS I love the gracious pantry, and subscribe to Clean eating mag already....they are my biggest resources.

If you are going to partake in grains (I don't because grains have to be processed so in my book are not clean) then it would be best to make your own.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    do you have a crockpot? have a chili night, one night/week. make your own. use turkey instead of beef.

have a pizza night! what if you made little pita pizzas and let the kids pick out their own toppings? you could get it all chopped and ready, let them make their own. get turkey sausage. or, you could make your own pizza crust. Not hard, just takes time :)

also, there are great recipes on here for cauliflower pizza crusts. do a search. I haven't tried it yet but heard it's fantastic!

make soup one day/week. freeze it in little parts for the kids.

make your own popsicles with fruit juice. They can actually do this and freeze them themselves.

sounds like you are really making great changes. they are lucky to have you!
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Not trying to be negative, but I don't see how switching from table salt to sea salt helps.

There are natural minerals that are stripped out of the table salt that we need in the sea salt. Table salt is highly processed, sea salts are natural.
  • dawny17
    do you have a crockpot? have a chili night, one night/week. make your own. use turkey instead of beef.

have a pizza night! what if you made little pita pizzas and let the kids pick out their own toppings? you could get it all chopped and ready, let them make their own. get turkey sausage. or, you could make your own pizza crust. Not hard, just takes time :)

also, there are great recipes on here for cauliflower pizza crusts. do a search. I haven't tried it yet but heard it's fantastic!

make soup one day/week. freeze it in little parts for the kids.

make your own popsicles with fruit juice. They can actually do this and freeze them themselves.

sounds like you are really making great changes. they are lucky to have you!

Thanks for the ideas Sinclare, I think I'll try the popsicles with the kids today.....good snack for after school.