what time of day is best to work out?

Options
Is it better to work out first thing in the morning? Or after work-before dinner? Or in the evening after dinner has digested?

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Anytime as long as you actually do it and burn some calories lol ;0)
  • mrysnshn
    mrysnshn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did the Pure Cardio tonight for the Insanity workouts. I'm pretty sure I burned a few. lol
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Anytime as long as you actually do it and burn some calories lol ;0)

^^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Morning.. is way better for me. Evenings or later after noons, takes a while to get my body moving.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think it's all a matter of preference, I tried working out in the morning before work, couldn't do it, after work is ok, I work mids now and early afternoon or before work is perfect for me, as another post said, workout at whatever time works best for you, so that way you will stick with it. Good luck.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I believe I've heard that the morning is the best time to work out because it boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day. However, I don't think it really matters, just as long as you do it, however & whenever it fits into your schedule.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've heard morning too. It works for me, gives me a lot more energy throughout the day.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I usually go after work - before or after dinner doesnt matter. I usually do some before and some after. Personally - I would be up FAR too early to do morning workouts (3am doesnt sound good to me.... ) If you dont start work before the sun shines like I do - morning workouts might be a great way to wake you up and rev you up for the day. I wish I could do SOME working out before work - but I dont have much dedication at 3 and 4 AM
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Technically, morning is better by a slight margin because you get a boost right off the bat and then end up burning more calories throughout the day.

HOWEVER, like most people, I work out in the evening because its convenient, as well as its not a big enough difference to worry about.

As long as you are staying active, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I am a morning person!!
  • BBCTiffyB
    BBCTiffyB Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had the same question and asked around as well and everyone basically said the same thing everyone here is saying =)

1. workout when YOU can and will consistantly get YOU doing it
    2. sometimes it takes trying different parts of the day to see what works best for you
    3. anytime is better than no time

I prefer mornings. I get up everyday at 4am to do my workouts, so I have time to make my food and take a shower. I work and go to school full time so this is really the ONLY time I have to do it. On the few days off that I get, I try to sleep in, or when I'm running late I have to workout later in the day and each minute that passes i get less and less motivated.

But I know people who come home after working all day and do their workouts at 9-10 at night! But hey, it works for them =)

How far into the Insanity program are you? I find I HAVE to get my Insanity done in the morning because I can never seem to get "motivated" enough to workout to that later in the day.
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Whenever YOU feel like working out the hardest.
  • macylane4
    Options
    I would try going in the morning and evenings. It tells your body you are always moving! If you work out anytime you'll lose, but I break it up. Like a hour in am and 1 hour in the pm. Then it doesn't feel like it is as much either! I tend to get bored quick, so 2 hours at one time is too much for me!
  • mrysnshn
    mrysnshn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to get up really early (4am) just so I could work out before work. By the time I got home frome work I was ready to eat and was always in bed really early. I think convience wise the evening is better. I hate being at the gym when it is crowded. So I usually go around 7 or 7:30. Thanks for all the advise.
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I prefer early mornings cuz I get it over with for the day! I find it really hard to get my butt to the gym later in the day...
    My hubby is gonna start goin' w/me 2-3 days a week so that will be great!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Now.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I prefer mornings, but previous trainers of mine have said that it is really a matter of preference. You will work out most effectively when you are in the right mindset or mood - some people aren't morning persons, and I've know others who want to knock it out the second they get up.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    If I try to work out in the moring I just half a@@ it. ITs best for me to work it off in the evening when I am awake
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    i'm not a morning person so that's not the time for me. Everyone is different. The best time for most people is when they are the most awake. Then they are ready to focus on working out.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Whatever time works best for you and you'll be consistent with. I'm a morning workout kind of person...I feel better throughout the day when Ive done my workout. My husband is the opposite. He likes to do his before dinner or after he's awake for a while. Anytime that you take for yourself and burn some calories is a good thing whether its 3 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon :smile: