Smoking (please don't judge)

Options
2»

Replies

• BeckyV73
    BeckyV73 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Smoking is the hardest thing to quit, hands down. I was a smoker for many years and managed to quit for 3 years before starting up again for another 3 years. I quit last September (10 days from my 1 year anniversary - WOOT!) and was very worried that my then 20 pound weight loss would be derailed, but it wasn't. You'll quit IF and only IF you want to! Don't beat yourself up over it and anyone who judges, clearly never was a smoker!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Listen. I have smoked on and off for almost half my life (I am only 22). I woke up one day, decided I didn't want to be dependent on a little stick that doesn't even do me any good. It doesn't even get you high! Sooo I quit a month ago. It was hard, don't get me wrong. To keep my mind of smoking, I started exercising and watching what I ate because I was terrified of gaining weight. In this month, I have LOST 10 pounds. I started getting more serious because as I was feeling the positive effects of being a nonsmoker, I felt a great ton more motivation to make my body even more healthy. It wasn't about willpower. You honestly don't realize until you quit how GOOD it feels to just breathe and walk. You'll feel so good, you'll want to do more.... This is my personal experience, though. I love what I have done and the way I feel. I say go for it. What do you really have to lose other than a bad, comfortable habit? You can always gain and lose weight. By smoking, you are losing years of your life. Can't get those back.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When I decided to quit, it was partly because I could hardly breathe while working out. And because I stopped in the middle of my workouts because I "needed" a smoke break (wtf?!) So I carried a pen or pencil with me at all times so my hand had something to do, and also hard candy or mints (I'm not a fan of gum). The cravings lasted a couple of days, but the mental cravings persisted, which is where the pencil and mints came in. I knew I made the right choice when I could workout for more than 5 minutes without needing to stop to catch my breath. You can do it!

Good idea with the pencils. I would cut drinking straws in the size of cigarettes and keep them in my purse in my silver cigarette holder. Had one in my hand almost all day. Looked ridiculous, but hey, it worked and gave my mouth and hand something to do!