Lunch ideas?

Options
Hey guys,

Having a hard time finding lunches for when I'm at work or at school. What are some good, easy on the go meal ideas? I don't like frozen meals and love making food myself but find things like sandwiches and classic "school lunches" to be the easiest. Any tips to make the meals healthier and lighter on calories?

Replies

• annika27
    Options
    If you like sandwiches, I use Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. I use either ham or turkey and mustard. Its under 200 calories, and tastes amazing. Then of course fruit is always easy. And I love love love 100 calorie pack Oreos!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Look up bento box meals!!! fantastic and fun!
  • pipistrula
    Options
    Ooooh! I was running into this, too! Then I went to Safeway one day and saw a salad that fills me up and I could easily replicate with a tenth of the amount of oil they use.

I have been buying a can of 5 different beans (I use string beans, kidney, pinto, black, and...One other one?), then I mix them in a GIANT bowl, use apple vinegar because I like it better than the reg sort, with enough oil to add some consistency but not enough to make the whole thing oily, and TA-DA! It keeps REALLY well and generally lasts me a week. I make sure to eat it once like every other day or so, so that I don't get sick, and then add something else to go with it so I have some flavor changes :)

Baked mac and cheese isn't too bad, either, and it travels well...But it's a lot of carbs and dairy...If you want that recipe, though, let me know :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    As a grad student, I was in class from 7am-5pm most days. I used to pack my own breakfast, lunch and dinner. My favorite was a tuna salad type dish. Tuna, a little bit of lite mayo, sliced tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro, celery and whatever else you like.
  • Dohrnl
    Dohrnl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat and so I was asking around and found some great websites with recipes that the leftovers are even more amazing. Try googling hungry girl recipes(click chew on this) and also skinnytaste.com.

The best ideas I could suggest would be making a wrap up. You can use grilled chicken (1oz = 90 cal) , feta cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc. You could also do a apples with a slice of laughing cow cheese.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love the snack packs of hommus (sp?), with cucumbers or zuch. from the garden. Campbell's has the low cal. soups (Camp. Select), So many times, I just put leftovers from dinner in my lunch bag. Grated zuchhini with spagetti sauce on top is good too. Greek yogurt (plain Fage Total 0%), with frozen blueberries or mixed berries on top-I just pack my own. I have a friend who makes a cheeseburger salad- all the fixins without the bun. Stir fry leftovers---the list goes on and on...
  • pipistrula
    Options
    I forgot about this but just found the link and thought it might be helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328410-116-calorie-or-less-lunch-quiches

Quiches tend to last a while and they're so yummy!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo bumping this...need variety..lol :wink: