Working Out too much?

Options
I consider myself an advanced fitness level now (am a reformed couch potatoe), my question is, is it possible to exercise too much? I am working out 6 days a week for 45 minutes a day, and on my 2 days off a week, I work out almost 2 hours a day. I am asking because initially when I started all this, the weight was just falling off. Now, and I have at least 30 more pounds I want to lose, it is extremely hard to lose it. I lose weight, then gain a pound back, then lose, then gain. So, essentially, I am maintaining. Foodwise, I am planned to eat 1200 calories a day, which I barely hit and sometimes I don't eat my exercise calories, simply because I am not hungry. I don't know if I should do more intense exercise...I have been doing step-aerobics on a 9-inch step and on the days where I work out twice, I do step and either turbo jam workouts or biggest loser cardio max ( all 3 levels). I know, some people will say I need to eat more calories, but I am so afraid I will start gaining weight instead of just maintaining. Any advice?? I am going crazy over all of this!!!:drinker:

109912.png

Replies

• weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I consider myself an advanced fitness level now (am a reformed couch potatoe), my question is, is it possible to exercise too much? I am working out 6 days a week for 45 minutes a day, and on my 2 days off a week, I work out almost 2 hours a day. I am asking because initially when I started all this, the weight was just falling off. Now, and I have at least 30 more pounds I want to lose, it is extremely hard to lose it. I lose weight, then gain a pound back, then lose, then gain. So, essentially, I am maintaining. Foodwise, I am planned to eat 1200 calories a day, which I barely hit and sometimes I don't eat my exercise calories, simply because I am not hungry. I don't know if I should do more intense exercise...I have been doing step-aerobics on a 9-inch step and on the days where I work out twice, I do step and either turbo jam workouts or biggest loser cardio max ( all 3 levels). I know, some people will say I need to eat more calories, but I am so afraid I will start gaining weight instead of just maintaining. Any advice?? I am going crazy over all of this!!!:drinker:

109912.png
  • ColeenSanLeon
    ColeenSanLeon Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey Weese,

Ok, so you know that if you don't eat enough your body will begin to store, only you can judge if you are eating enough. Lean muscle does require more calories. Take a deep breath and review the numbers again, then do what you know you should do.

Second, I would try a different cardio, maybe just walk (run?) on the treadmill or cycle a couple of times a week as a trade off. They say muscles get comfortable with our workouts, fool them by changing up your workout. Have you thought about exercising with weights? My gym has some Step Circuit classes that mix both. I like that alot better than working the machines.

Another thought - not being hungry is sometimes a sign of a slow metabolism, do you eat small meals often? If not, you might try that too.

I am so proud of your weight loss!!

Another thing that I always used to shrug off but now I see the light is to measure yourself. The scale is not our friend... you may be losing inches while gaining lean muscle so the numbers are flat. Hang in there!! You are doing awesome!!

(PS don't listen to me, I gained all mine back and have to start over!!)
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I agree with Coleen that you should eat more and mix up your workout.

I don't think you are overdoing it, though. Try adding some type of weight training. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn just to maintain.

Also, in the last 20-30 lbs of weight loss it is much more difficult to get the scale to move. So focus on changing the weight from fat to muscle.

Good luck!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I agree with everything that was already said! :flowerforyou:

From my perspective, it sounds like with that intense of a workout schedule you definitely need much more than 1200 calories a day. It sounds like you are kicking your body into starvation mode and that would explain the stop in weight loss. Its great that you are trying to eat your exercise calories, but I would really push to make sure you are getting all of them.

As for exercising too much, I am not totally sure on that one! It doesn't sound like you are going overboard. Are you giving yourself days to rest if you get sore or pull a muscle? Do you NEED to go everyday? As long as you can take a step back when you have to, then you are doing fine. Maybe check with a doctor just in case?

Your progress is really inspiring... makes me want to get to the gym! :flowerforyou:
  • nancykay
    nancykay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your body does tend to adapt if you stay in the same routine. I agree mixing it up should help. Also if you don't eat enough calories your body will tend to hold on to everything it can. Just make sure the extra calories are from healthy foods. You've done great. Keep up the good work.
    Nancy
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    First, congrats on your amazing weight loss! I've always heard that it is more and more difficult to lose as you approach your goal weight, and that you need to be very vigilant about what you body responds to at this stage of the weight loss process. It sounds like your body is used to your routine, so you should probably change it up. If you can afford a few personal training sessions, I reccomend it! A trainer will push you harder then you ever imagine you can go, and will help you get out of your rut. Second, it sounds like you are eating too few calories. Its not normal to work out as much as you do, eat only 1200 calories a day, and not feel hungry. My trainer told me that I should feel hungry every 3-4 hours, because it means my body is burning through the fuel I put in it. If you aren't feeling hungry, something is wrong. My advice is to tweak your calorie intake and change up your exercise routine!