My cat needs to learn boundaries.

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
I love my cat Tippy. She's cute, she's friendly, she cuddles with me. But she just has no concept of boundaries or personal space. I am constantly telling her how rude she's being, but she doesn't understand. I was just eating a bowl of cereal on my couch, and she decided she wanted some as well. She stuck her face into my bowl and proceeded to chow down. Keep in mind that I tend to be a messy eater so I was keeping the bowl quite close to my face to avoid a spill. I put the bowl out of her reach and tried to have a little conversation about my space issues, and she responded by licking my eyeballs and mouth. Completely uncalled for. Cats have no concept of my personal bubble. :grumble:

Replies

• whatwentwrong
    Options
    i will clone my cat and you can have the clone, she's really good at staying away from food once you glare at her a little. and i will steal your cat :D ALL CATS TO ME
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    i will clone my cat and you can have the clone, she's really good at staying away from food once you glare at her a little. and i will steal your cat :D ALL CATS TO ME

ALL GLORY TO THE CAT LADY!
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Maybe your cat doesn't speak English :). Have you tried speaking to her in meowish?
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My cat Foxy is the same. She is such a pesty little cat. She will be all up in your face licking and purring. She doesn't leave you be. She wants attention and when she wants it! Push her aside and she comes right back and continues. The absolute best is when she dips in paws into my cups! I love kitty litter paws in my drinks!
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I can totally relate. I have a 18yr old female cat that is the same way,I also have 11mth old male cat that stays away while you are eating. Go figure. LOL Got to love our fur babies.:happy:
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    my dog thinks she is human and she trys to make out all the time lmao
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

My puppy, if she sees the opportunity, will grab food right out of my mouth. I yawn a lot as a side effect of my meds, so sometimes I yawn with food in my mouth. And if she's near, bet your *kitten* she's goin' in and takin' it.
  • Louieanne
    Louieanne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My kitty cat, Cecilia could care less if your eating but the minute you sit down with a glass of tea she shoves her whole head into the cup! She's just a tad strange...she plays fetch, comes when called, and follows us around, and several other dog like traits. But she's an ocicat so those are fairly common for her breed. She is a very affectionate kitty and is a constant source of entertainment. We love her very much!
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I kinda think that if you asked him, my cat would say the same thing about me.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My kitty cat, Cecilia could care less if your eating but the minute you sit down with a glass of tea she shoves her whole head into the cup! She's just a tad strange...she plays fetch, comes when called, and follows us around, and several other dog like traits. But she's an ocicat so those are fairly common for her breed. She is a very affectionate kitty and is a constant source of entertainment. We love her very much!
    Our Fishy (thats right, we named our cat Fishy), does the same thing! lol Plus he loves green olive juice!! He will just dip his paw into a jar of juice and suck it off and keep it up till its gone or he gets thirsty...he is soooo weird, but we love him. lol
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I got a cat from the shelter that had a couple behavioral issues like that. If anyone sat down in my apartment she would climb up on their shoulders and yowl in their ears until they focused attention on her. I broke her of that habit by gently tapping on her toes with my finger when she climbed up on my shoulders. She would also try to get food out of your hand/fork/spoon while you were trying to eat. She would leave the plate alone and bite at it while you were carrying it to your mouth. I broke her of that habit by puffing air into her face when she would get too close. She was a very loving cat that just wanted attention.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    LOL i'm sorry but i find this adorable :)
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I apparently have an outline of my cat, Doc, permanently etched on my lap. If I get up to walk around, he follows me and meows at me, as if he is confused as to why "his" couch has gotten up and is walking about. He also thinks everything in the house is his. He just lets me live here. Kind of.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My cat only speaks Spanish, have you tried that? Maybe there's a language barrier.

But seriously, mine does the same thing. She also has taken to sitting in front of the TV on it's stand then "stretching" on it. The first time she did it I about lost my s..h*t. I'm like "DO NOT SHARPEN YOUR CLAWS ON MY 3D TV WTF ARE YOU THINKING FIUHEigu;HRIUGHBR >.<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I can't wait until we get her fixed, hopefully she'll calm down.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    aww this thread makes me miss my cat Gizzy! She died many years ago but when she was alive we used to play peekabo in the hallway haha.. I need a furbaby! damnit!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

My puppy, if she sees the opportunity, will grab food right out of my mouth. I yawn a lot as a side effect of my meds, so sometimes I yawn with food in my mouth. And if she's near, bet your *kitten* she's goin' in and takin' it.

omg too funny she has not done that but i think she thinks she is my husbands wife the way she cuddles him and stuff she so thinks he is hers lol
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Haha, my dog tries to stare me down when I'm eating, she just stands and stares right into my eyes to try and get my food. But she never just helps herself. She is the best fur kid in the world. The cat, now she just helps herself, no manners whatsoever. Still she is 19 and came from the shelter originally. Love my pets.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Have you considered setting a bowl for her as well alongside yours? Mine always get to eat next to me at the table, it's only polite.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you considered setting a bowl for her as well alongside yours? Mine always get to eat next to me at the table, it's only polite.

I'd be nervous about having her feet on the table. Do they make little socks she could wear?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I'd be nervous about having her feet on the table. Do they make little socks she could wear?

Yes they do!!

O7kVT2v.gif