Heart Rate Monitor Question for those w a Polar

Options
I got an F6 and I love it, only I have a recurring problem of loosing the heart rate signal any time my arm is fully outstreatched in any direction. Well, not any time, but a majority of the time. For example, in jumping jacks, certain yoga poses, sleeping (trying to figure out my resting rate :)), stretching, etc I cannot always get a signal - so I dont think that the calorie count would be accurate if BLANK% of the time it is not picking up my heart rate. We're talking less than 2' away from the receiver. I would say that it is positioned and moistened correctly as I get a reading consistantly any time within 1-1.5' of the receiver.

I have tried in several different rooms in my house and am wearing a normal cotton t-shirt and there are no other monitors around.

Anyone with similar problems or solutions? I know that it is only a small % of time that it would be "out of range" during normal exercise so my counts should not be drastically off, but I should think it would work within arms reach...

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I got an F6 and I love it, only I have a recurring problem of loosing the heart rate signal any time my arm is fully outstreatched in any direction. Well, not any time, but a majority of the time. For example, in jumping jacks, certain yoga poses, sleeping (trying to figure out my resting rate :)), stretching, etc I cannot always get a signal - so I dont think that the calorie count would be accurate if BLANK% of the time it is not picking up my heart rate. We're talking less than 2' away from the receiver. I would say that it is positioned and moistened correctly as I get a reading consistantly any time within 1-1.5' of the receiver.

I have tried in several different rooms in my house and am wearing a normal cotton t-shirt and there are no other monitors around.

Anyone with similar problems or solutions? I know that it is only a small % of time that it would be "out of range" during normal exercise so my counts should not be drastically off, but I should think it would work within arms reach...
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

I have an F4 and I have never had this problem, my arms can be as far away as possible and it still gets my heart rate.... Is yours new? Maybe you can ask at Polar if no one else has this problem.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i have the F4 and have never had this problem...in fact - in my cycle class, i actually take my watch off and wrap it around the handle bars and it picks up the entire time (and even when i get off my bike to stretch)...this might sound crazy but i have actually seen this : are you wearing your strap against your skin, snug under your breasts? i only ask this because i saw a man at the gym wearing his strap OVER his shirt...that would definitely give you a wacky signal....also - i know this also sounds nutty but i place some saliva over the sensor part of my chest strap - it helps conduct the signal....if you put your strap against dry skin it will give you a random reading (hence the saliva)...if al else fails, i know polar will replace your HRM or give you a new strap....good luck with that!:flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is positioned and moistened correctly. I would say 1/4 to 1/2 the time it looses a signal at arm's length.

What i really want to do is set it on my nightstand when i sleep :)

I have only had it a week so I will keep messing with it and see what it does.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I just got the F6 and am having the same problems too! It's getting a little frustrating.:ohwell: