Is this too much of exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Not for me. In fact you should be staying active even if you're not in the gym. If you only exercise for lets say 2 hours then turn sedentary for the rest of the day, you will not burn that much. I'm only an inch taller than you & my HW is just 2 lbs. short of yours so you do need to burn off more. I exercise 6 days a week, 3 days cardio for 30 mins & 3 days strength training (I do more circuit trainings) for an hour. But aside from that everyday I walk about 2 miles from office to the bus station, also lunch breaks I walk for 20 mins then when I get home, I do few housework. Not to mention that I also taking up martial arts classes & also football. So in my opinion, you're not overexercising as long as your body doesn't feel exhausted.

My exercise schedule:

Monday - either rest day (alternating w/ Sunday if I have an Aikido practice session)
    Tuesday - 1 hr. circuit training
    Wednesday - 30 mins. cardio
    Thursday - 1 hr. circuit training
    Friday - 2 hours Aikido session (I log my martial arts class as my cardio exercise)
    Saturday - 30 minutes cardio
    Sunday - 1 hour circuit training, 15-20 mins of boxing (sometimes rest day if I will be attending Aikido Monday practice session)

Note: I'm focusing more on strength training than cardio because I want my muscles especially my biceps/triceps to be more visible
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Doing strength training for longer than 60 minutes is detrimental as your glycogen levels have been depleted and your body will start to use muscle and fat, known as catabolism which will only end a smaller fat version of you aka skinny fat...

Ideally you want to retain as much muscle mass as possible which will help burn calories even when you rest.

Out of interest, how is this affected by doing, for example, 45mins weights followed by 60mins cardio?

Doing constant exercise for 45 minutes will result your body going into a catabolic state which means your body will start breaking down muscles in order to provide your body fuel to continue exercising. So basically doing 45 minutes of weights your exhausting your body's glycogen levels, sugar stored within the muscles, and also breaking down muscle fibers which is a good thing as you want to gain muscle mass...but adding another 60 minutes of cardio will cause your body to feed off your muscles and fat which will result in a smaller your...

This is why marathon athletes are so skinny and sprinters very muscular, keep your exercises within an hour and best to keep cardio on your off days. Also look into HIIT which is fantastic for losing weight and maintaining muscles.
  • yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of you for giving me so much information & support.. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My only concern is that you seem to have jumped into this amount of exercise pretty quickly and might burn out on it too quickly.
    Otherwise, if your body doesn't hurt and you aren't feeling fatigued, keep rocking!

This is what i was thinking that her friend might be thinking. I know everyone prescribed nefarious motives to the friend but she might be worried that you are overdoing it and will get burnt out on it and/or hurt yourself. of course you know yourself best and I think you've already gotten some good advice here.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    How long have youve been keeping this routine? As long as you keep loosing weight and dont feel tired etc keep at it, but if you dont feel any soreness from the strengthtraining maybe you should up the weights and not strengthtrain two days in a row? Just a thought.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    it's up to you. if you feel like it's too much then back off a little. if you feel like it's right for you and you're motivated, might as well keep doing it.
  • gracemleone
    Options
    I go to the gym 6 days a week in the morning. I do the elliptical for an hour. Then strength training/floor exercises for 1-1.5hrs. That's from the gym. Then in the evening, I go for brisk walking (3 - 3.5 miles/hr) at the park close to my home for an hour.
    I enjoy doing all this. But, when I told this to one of my friends, she said it's too much of exercise & it will effect my joints. Is that true?

EDIT:
    I weigh 167 lbs. Height: 5 2"
    Female, 27 yrs old

I think it depends on how you feel.. if you are constantly fatigued then you might be overdoing it but if it is giving you results, making you feel more energetic, and keeping you motivated, keep doing it.

Also, your friend is wrong that it might be bad for your joints. She could have been right if you were doing a high impact exercise like running, but the eliptical is considered low impact and safer for the joints. This article (and many others) supports what I'm saying here.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/100957-exercise-machines-bad-knees/

One thing about the strength training though.. You shouldn't work the same muscles every day. (I don't know if you are doing this) I'm a beginner in strength training and I'm trying to come up with a strength routine for myself and have been doing a lot of research and reading lately. I don't know what your level is but I read that if you are a beginner (less than 6 months of consistent training=beginner), you would benefit the most from doing 2-3 full body exercises which include compound exercises that work all your large muscles. You might be overdoing it on the strength training but I don't know what your goals are and what your level is, so you might not..

I think you are doing a great job, sticking to your exercise routine and enjoying it. But listen to your body, if you feel it's too much, you can cut down a little, if not, keep doing it..
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too much. If you feel fine and are happy with your workouts, then I would continue doing them. Pro-athlethes train a lot more than that and we don't see a problem with it.

Shannon
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    I don't think it's too much. If you feel fine and are happy with your workouts, then I would continue doing them. Pro-athlethes train a lot more than that and we don't see a problem with it.

Shannon

You are comparing apples and pears, their nutrition is not the same nor are their supplement intakes. A pro-athlete would have a much higher calorie intake and a speedier recovery which allows them to train harder and longer, their diet also mainly consist of carbs if they are endurance runners.
  • yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.. :)