small portion question...

Options
So... I've been very good at measuring out stuff to properly manage my portion size. HOWEVER, my gf and I both have oatmeal fairly regularly for breakfast... 1/3 cup dry oats each. Where my question arises is: I like my oatmeal quite a bit runnier, which produces a much larger bowl of cooked oats than my girl's cooked dry oats. Is my portion considered "larger"? Should you record dry volume, or cooked?

Dumbfounded....

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Go by dry weight. Water has no calories
  • jcannon15
    Options
    it depends what ur mixing it with, i usually measure my oatmeal dry and mix with water so theres no calorie content there and make mine runny.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you're using milk, work out the calories separately - measure your dry oatmeal, and then count calories for however much milk you use on yours.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I go by dry volume because the volume you're talking about is from the added water and water is calorie free.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Golden rule for weightloss is calories consumed < calories burned....the rest is irrelevant unless when you want to build muscle then your protein intake should be 1 gram per one lb of lean body mass.

Whether you eat 6 meals a day, 3 or even 1...your total calories is all that matter and if someone tells you it is better to eat 6 than 1 because it helps to increase your metabolism, then you should know it is a marketing scam. So enjoy your meals regardless of the size as long as your remain in a deficit to lose weight.
  • ridelikeagirl616
    ridelikeagirl616 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :smile:
    that's what I was hoping to hear... I always mix mine with water, and make it runny. It just seems crazy that my bowl is full and my girl's is barely half! Extra water has never been something I've considered a bad thing...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help.