Apple and rhubarb recipes please!

Right, as this year I finally have a HUGE freezer for the first time since I moved here (only taken me 4 years to get it :p), I am harvesting and saving all my apples and rhubarb instead of picking them with good intent and never doing anything with them lol!

So, I need recipes please :D

I have a fair bit of rhubarb, not brilliant stuff as the plant's getting on a bit (will replace next year) so pretty sweet recipes I reckon, and I will have probably a couple of hundred Bramley cooking apples at least (maybe more, never been able to save them all before so not sure but the tree is my age and BIG :D).

Take it away folks!

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    well i have today made apple pie,and apple strudel with eating apples and apple turnovers with cookers!
    i don't have any of them tho.... that's for all the naughty ones in the house!! lol
    try a healthy apple and rhubarb crumble! you really don't need all the marg and suger use oats instead!
    also try healthy jams ect if you have enough!
    also try makeing apple sauce and adding it into cake instead of the marg and way less sugar too...lol sounds silly but it works! and don't use egg yolks for cakes either!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Apple Butter

5 pounds of apples pealed and cored
    2.5 Cups of Sugar (I did half white/half brown)
    2 tsp Cinnamon
    1/4 tsp Cloves
    1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Layer the apples in thirds in the crock pot with sugar between the layers, Press it down as well as you can. Sprinkle the spices on top. Now the original recipe said cook in the slow cooker on high for an hour. However, every other recipe I found says cook it on low for 14-16 hours, and maybe high for an hour at the end to simmer it down. I did it on low for the long period of time (about 14 hours) figuring the recipe in the home schooler magazine was incorrect since the weight of evidence is for longer. It came out really good, and produces about 3 pints, so 96 tablespoons (if I did my conversion correctly) which is about 32 calories a Tbl. We ran ours through an applesaucer to get the little bits of skin and core that our peeler missed out. If you hand peeled and cored that step would not be needed. Blend it to smooth it out, and you have a wonderful thing to put on bread or as I do mix in with greek yogurt or pressed cottages cheese that is lower calories than most jams. Best yet, you know everything that is in it. We canned it, but I would not be surprised that it would freeze well.