What is that 0.9?!

Options
Hi All,

I know everyone says that you shouldn't weigh yourself too frequently...but I cannot resist!
When I weigh myself on the digital scale it reads 54.9 kg one day and the next day it reads 54.1 kg. Now, the numbers 9/ 1 is for grams yeah?
And 3500 calories=1 pound. So I know that to loose one pound in a week I have to create a defecit and work it off. Is there any such representation for estimating grams as well? Do I make sense? LOL.

Replies

• NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok I think what your looking for is how to convert pounds into KG - 2.2lbs = 1KG

So a 500cal Deficit per day will = 1 Pound loss after a week, or 0.5kg also shown as 500g (give or take a little)

Hope that help and is what your after :)
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I get confused on how the deficit really works. Because if you burn 500 calories but then you eat them back how are you in deficit? Please explain
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :angry: once a week or you will driver yourself crazy:bigsmile:

I weigh in pounds, am over 50 :noway: and it takes forEVER for me to lose a full pound. Ok a month, but shoot that sucks:sad:

My scale purposely says the .04 or whatever so I can see my 1/2 pound change for the week.

I was so obsessed with the scale my friend took it from me for a month and locked it in her trunk. Good thing I didn't know a locksmith or thief:tongue:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I get confused on how the deficit really works. Because if you burn 500 calories but then you eat them back how are you in deficit? Please explain
    If you eat the number of calories that MFP calculates for you, then you are at a calorie deficit. Exercise burns more calories, which are added to your daily allotment by MFP when you log your exercise. That keeps the deficit the same as if you had done no exercise.

So if MFP set my calorie total to 1300 calories a day, that gives me a 600 calorie deficit.
    I burn 500 calories at Zumba, and log that. MFP tells me my calories for the day are now 1300 + 500 for the exercise. I can eat all of those calories, and still keep that 600 calorie a day deficit.

Some people don't eat all of their exercise calories to ensure that they aren't overestimating the calorie burn from exercise. You can also increase your deficit this way, but need to be careful. Too much of a deficit can make your body resist losing fat, as counterintuitive as that may seem. Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Because the deficit is built into your goal calories already. The calories MFP tells you to eat has that 500 calorie deficit built in. You eat back exercise calories to maintain that 500 calorie deficit to lose weight safely.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you eat the number of calories that MFP calculates for you, then you are at a calorie deficit. Exercise burns more calories, which are added to your daily allotment by MFP when you log your exercise. That keeps the deficit the same as if you had done no exercise.

So if MFP set my calorie total to 1300 calories a day, that gives me a 600 calorie deficit.
    I burn 500 calories at Zumba, and log that. MFP tells me my calories for the day are now 1300 + 500 for the exercise. I can eat all of those calories, and still keep that 600 calorie a day deficit.

Some people don't eat all of their exercise calories to ensure that they aren't overestimating the calorie burn from exercise. You can also increase your deficit this way, but need to be careful. Too much of a deficit can make your body resist losing fat, as counterintuitive as that may seem. Good luck!

Best explanation of why to eat back your exercise calories ever.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump