Alcohol Calories?

Options
It's my friend's birthday tonight so we're having a party and I was planning on having a few drinks. My dilemma is that I don't have anytime to go to the gym today to "earn" myself some extra calories, but I also don't want to restrict my food intake today and then drink since it's not good to drink on an empty(ish) stomach. I was thinking that maybe I should just do shots instead of mixed drinks that way a full cup of juice will last me a lot longer than just one drink. Anyways I just wanted to get a general idea on what people's thought were on drinking and how it affects you staying on track.

side note: I rarely ever drink, usually once a week/every two weeks. I tend to stick to 5-6 shots of vodka although normally mix those with OJ or cranberry.

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Instead of juice why not try Fresca, it mixes very well with vodka. I don't normally drink diet sodas but Fresca on the odd occasion I have vodka. I'd also not drink 5 or 6 shots. The body treats alcohol like fat in that it goes straight to adipose for fat storage...
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I say one night isn't going to ruin everything or make you gain a ton of weight. Be sure to drink lots of water tomorrow and keep going on your journey. Most of all have a great night!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The actual alcohol calories aren't what impacts my staying on track as much as how the drinking impairs my judgment. What I think are a "few" chips is in reality is a flippin' basket of chips. When I grab just one (and we all know one can't hurt that badly) appetizer here and there it really turns out to be enough calories to equal one or two meals.
  • mssweetjay
    Options
    Drink lots of water water water!! This will help alot!!!!!! Have fun at the party!!
  • otgrouch
    Options
    The smirnoff ice light coolers only have 100 calories...I usually opt for them... Also you could .. Just take a water bottle , drink a bit of it then add your vodka and crystal light of choice..It tastes good.. :)
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    I'm assuming the party is at someone's house since you're young..? You could do vodka & crystal light as a mixed drink for relatively low calories if you just have 2-3 shots. . It would be better if you avoid getting totally *kitten* faced today so that you can go work out tomorrow without feeling like crap. (& work off any excess calories) I don't believe that you have to workout/eat on the same 24hr period, I think 1-2 days between a big workout and "catching up" by going over on calories works fine.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    if you're not opposed to diet soda- i do rum and diet coke. or gin and tonics (you could do vodka tonic if you like that better). but really one night won't do you in, just be really good for the next day after to make up lol just have fun!
  • Dixieson
    Options
    If you like the cranberry, try the Ocean Spray light or mix it with the Walmart (Great Value) Cranberry or Morning Orange Sugar Free Drink Mix found in the Kool Aide Isle.. If I drink at all that is what I choose. Walmart (Great Value) even has a Sugar Free Margarita Mix..
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to wine, or vodka and soda (love citron, blueberry, and pear vodkas with plain old club soda). Whatever I do, I always drink water too. Flavored soda/vodka works really well because I can switch to plain old club soda and no one is any wiser :-)

But the best thing is probably just to limit yourself to 1 or 2 drinks. Even if you are doing shots, it's still anywhere between 85-100 cals + per shot depending on the size of the pour. So at 5 or 6 shots, you are still looking at anywhere from about 450-600 calories. Add in OJ or cranberry...and you are talking even more.
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I say one night isn't going to ruin everything or make you gain a ton of weight. Be sure to drink lots of water tomorrow and keep going on your journey. Most of all have a great night!

I completely agree. I think a reason the weight loss journey fails for so many people is we feel we have to completely ban everything. Have fun and don't beat yourself up over it, allow yourself to indulge a little bit here and there and you won't get fed up in the long run.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I only really drink wine, and just fit it into my daily calories. Remember a gram of alcohol provides 7 cals, so more than the sugar in the drink!
  • letsgetserious
    letsgetserious Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Instead of juice why not try Fresca, it mixes very well with vodka. I don't normally drink diet sodas but Fresca on the odd occasion I have vodka. I'd also not drink 5 or 6 shots. The body treats alcohol like fat in that it goes straight to adipose for fat storage...

Yes Fresca... It is an amazing mix for almost any drink....... But do be careful in your consumption... I find that too much and
    I retain for a long time...

anywhoo.. make good choices and kudos for you for planning ahead. :)
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options

Well said!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's my friend's birthday tonight so we're having a party and I was planning on having a few drinks. My dilemma is that I don't have anytime to go to the gym today to "earn" myself some extra calories, but I also don't want to restrict my food intake today and then drink since it's not good to drink on an empty(ish) stomach. I was thinking that maybe I should just do shots instead of mixed drinks that way a full cup of juice will last me a lot longer than just one drink. Anyways I just wanted to get a general idea on what people's thought were on drinking and how it affects you staying on track.

side note: I rarely ever drink, usually once a week/every two weeks. I tend to stick to 5-6 shots of vodka although normally mix those with OJ or cranberry.
    Aren’t you only 19?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would eat normally, and then just take shots. One night won't do any harm to yourself.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The REAL harm from drinking comes from the late night munchies and whatnot.

Other than that, IMO, alchohol makes you really jittery and energetic, so you tend to burn the pure alchohol off pretty fast :)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Grab a bottle of Skinny Girl Margarita's! Yum! (I just picked up a bottle of "Skinny Girl Sangria" - haven't tried it yet)
    I also do half wine with half seltzer for wine spritzers (sounded gross to me at first, but actually quite tasty)
    Trainer at the gym said to sip something on the rocks (lots of cals. in the mizers)
    Or like PP have said - diet soda - I like to go for the "higher quality" diet sodas - the kind taht come in 6 pk bottles - like Jones soda. *I* think they taste a little better.