6 Months down, and i can run fast and inspire my family!

Options
polar135
polar135 Posts: 319 Member
So i ran my Second 5K today. 6 months ago, I was 52 pounds heavier then i am now, had gout, and couldn't run a a block.

Today's 5K stats- (My best pace by 1 minute 9 seconds (ever), plus beat my overall time by 3 minutes and 35 seconds vs my first 5K.)

2nd5k.jpg

My first 5K stats from 8/27-

first5k.jpg

I am proud of what i have done in the last 6 months but i think the proudest moment was this morning when i told my almost 4 year old son i was going to run, he asked if he could go. I said yes and we took a walk.

I am proud because i'm setting the example for my family to live a healthy lifestyle. This to me is priceless and worth all of the hard work. I hope to teach both my kids what i wasn't taught. to be healthy for life and i am.

Replies

• hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's a great time, congratulations!!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You should be proud--congratulations!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud. That's totally awesome.:smile:
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I can't run even half a mile and you just motivated me! :)
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome! Congratulations on how far you have come!

I ran my first 10K today in 76 minutes (not nearly as fast as you) and am proud to have done it! Life can be totally amazing! :smile:
  • polar135
    Options
    Awesome! I can't run even half a mile and you just motivated me! :)

Start off slow. (i started walking/running 20 minutes at a time) and saying i will run to that stop sign. after 2 weeks i up'ed the time to 25, then 30, then 40, then 45.) and i would set longer running goals. Example, I will run this the block, the mile, and so on.
  • polar135
    Options
    Totally awesome! Congratulations on how far you have come!

I ran my first 10K today in 76 minutes (not nearly as fast as you) and am proud to have done it! Life can be totally amazing! :smile:

Amazing time MelissaGraham7! I am training for a 10K as we speak. but i had pre-signed up for like 3 5K's that i have to finish before i move to the 10K.. My normal training runs are between 4.5 and 5.5 miles depending on my schedule so i will be able to do it shortly and i can't wait!
  • illianjay
    illianjay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you're a beast!! great job!!

i JUST started a few weeks ago and I can only run about 1/4 mile without stopping....i'm inspired by you! keep up the good work!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! I am running my first 5k on October 22nd.. 8 months ago I could barely move. I've lost 25 pounds prior to joining mfp. I am a work in progress, but, excited for my run.

My time is not the best and am still doing a combo of run/walk but am very much enjoying my running days.. Thanks again for the inspiration today:)

Dawn
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Congrats! that's great!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Excellent job!! Well done!!! You SHOULD be proud...you deserve it. You motivate me to know that it can be done. Thanks for sharing.
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Congrats.

And how great that you can see how your new lifestyle is directly benefiting your kids and changing their lives for the better. My fiance and I are eating better and working out now to get in our best shape for the wedding, but we know we want to keep it up after that so that our future kids will learn those habits and be raised with a healthy lifestyle. I was raised to eat healthy foods and exercise, but he wasn't, yet he's in far better shape then me. Sometimes life just ain't fair :) I'll catch up with him soon.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Congrats on setting a new personal record for yourself! But the bit about your son going with you is incredible, so EXTRA congrats about that!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Lovely job, well done, thats a great time:happy:
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Your son has a great example. Wish I had been a better one for my kids. The youngest doesn't even remember me thin. But I am now losing. While I have not been exercising I have been increasing my overall movement around the house. I am having an easier time on the stairs and moving around in general. I have had health problems that have slowed me down . but this am I weighed and have lost ten percent of my goal. :happy: As I feel healthier everyday I know that my exercise will increase. I do notice that my slim daughter is very encouraging but my heavier daughter is turning her nose up at the foods I am eating and walks away if I am excited about weight loss. I am sure she feels bad but I am trying not to gloat or brag. My hope is that NOW I can be a good example and show her that if I can do it at 54 she can at 30. Congratulations to all who run. Wow you are awesome.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Running has became a part of my life. I'm 66 and still running marathons. My son is my inspiration. He has completed 5 Ion Man's (including Hawaii) and did the Leadville 100 bike race. You are never to old to work out. I have lost 6pounds since I have joined My Pals and feeling better than ever!!!!!!!!! Love hearing other success stories. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    This is a really inspiring post for me. I am hoping that by the time next spring rolls around, I'll be a happy runner, instead of a red-faced gasping for air after two minutes runner ;)
    Thanks for sharing, great job! It's so nice to hear that this sort of goal is attainable, and not just a dream.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    great pace!!!!!!! I'm not a fast runner but I just keep going. My nexy half marathon is in October. Last year I finished first in my age group -- hope to do again this year. Great job on your run. You get to feel that the day is not complete without at least a few miles.
  • polar135
    Options
    Thanks all. Just got my official time from the 5K from yesterday. 28:24 (my time from last 5K was 31:55) Heck Yea! So excited. Bring on the next 5K. (i am going to sign up for a 10K in October.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!