Time to work out

Options
I am new to the whole working out thing and was wondering is there any difference on the body working out early in the morning vs any other time of day????

Also does it affect your body if you sometimes go in the morning and sometimes late at night...

Sorry if question sounds stupid, just wanted to make sure

Replies

• 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    A lot of controversy but I have seen more than one article that states you should do it at night time
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the morning.., it gives me the boost for the day. If I work out later, I am too wired to go to sleep. Other people sleep like a baby afterward. Whatever works for you is what you should do.

You got this girl!!!
  • lrgarza82
    lrgarza82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to workout in the morning. I find it sets my day off to a strong start: I have lots of energy, I'm excited,I know how many extra calories I can eat that day, and (even if I do nothing at all the rest of the day) I feel like I accomplished something. I've tried working out in the evening. I didn't like it as much because by that time I am already exhausted from the day's activities and I tend to make more excuses NOT to workout. I also found that when I workout at night, I get a boost of energy and it is hard to fall asleep...
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You need to workout at whatever time works for you so you will stick with it, one article might say workout at night is better, but if that doesn't work for you, you won't stick with it. Good luck in reaching your goals.
  • garrarda
    garrarda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read that morning is best as it gets your metabolism going to burn for the rest of the day. Also, if you exercise first thing the rest of your day won't interferre with squeezing in a workoutl.

Looks like you are doing great, keep it up!
  • destiny637
    Options
    Seriously, just do whatever works best for you. As long as you get your body moving, that is what matters most!!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like to workout in the morning. I find it sets my day off to a strong start: I have lots of energy, I'm excited,I know how many extra calories I can eat that day, and (even if I do nothing at all the rest of the day) I feel like I accomplished something. I've tried working out in the evening. I didn't like it as much because by that time I am already exhausted from the day's activities and I tend to make more excuses NOT to workout. I also found that when I workout at night, I get a boost of energy and it is hard to fall asleep...

I agree completely. I too tried working out at night and I've noticed how inconsistent I am with keeping the schedule going. Do what works best for you.
  • thepearlgirl
    Options
    most fitness experts will tell you to exercise in the morning...i myself do so. the reason is that they believe that if you wait until later in the day, you might not do it as all as 'life happens'. however, it might be easy to simply stop by the gym after work and make that your routine. i don't think there are any different health benefits as to what time of day you actually exercise. i think it is more a feeling of which routine will you most likely stick with and make a habit out of.

hope this helps and i wish you the best on your journey! love and happiness!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I workout whenever I have time. It hasn't seemed to do me any harm! :)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I find working out right after I get home from work, is best for me.
    Helps me de-stress from the day and commute.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I am new to the whole working out thing and was wondering is there any difference on the body working out early in the morning vs any other time of day????

Also does it affect your body if you sometimes go in the morning and sometimes late at night...

Congrats on making this decision. There are no such things as "stupid questions" when you are learning about a topic/subject. It's best to educate yourself first, then to try something that is already known that doesn't work and waste your time. Personally, I prefer morning workouts vs. after work afternoon/evening workouts. First thing in the morning, I'm well rested so I don't have that "I'm tired" excuse. But the morning vs evening debate is very controversial. Some studies report people have more strength and a higher body temp in the afternoon, which can lead to a better calorie expendature. In the end, do what works for you, everyone is different.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening after work Mon - Fri, on the weekends and days off I work out in the morning. It hasn't made any difference for me. I reached my goal.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I know there's some controversy out there, but I simply can't imagine there's THAT much difference in the time of day one exercises vs. how it impacts calories burned/metabolism. There might be, but it would have to be little at best. I go with the theory that 24 hours is 24 hours. And a week is a week.

Now, there is some research out there that those who exercise in the mornings are more regular at getting it in. You'll find people who only exercise in the evenings and swear by it and balk that AM exercisers are more committed.

You have to find out what works best for your schedule ... which in reality will most likely be a combination.

For me, I find that working out in the morning keeps me more focused with my calorie intake for the day. Why would I put that Oreo in my mouth after running those 3 miles this morning? That kind of mentality. I also like it because it's done and if I get an unforeseen surprise (working late, meeting, etc.) doesn't get me off track. I also feel like I've accomplished something even before my work day starts. And it pretty much sucks the life out of the excuse, "I'm too tired from my long day at work."
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you're new, do it whenever you can. It's more important to do it then what time of the day.

I did read one time, in regards to exersice helping with sleep, that the optimum time is 6 hours before you plan to go to bed because you're body will be totally cooled off after that amount of time and our bodies naturally feel sleepy when we get cold.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Time of day might make a difference for an elite athlete who is looking to shave 1/1000th of second off his running time, but for the rest of us, it doesn't matter. I'm a SAHM so mornings work best for me (plus then I can put on my makeup and do my hair and be cute for the rest of the day! Vanity, thy name is woman!)

If I worked full time, doing a workout on the way home would probably make more sense. If you get wired from working out and can't sleep, that's a good reason to do it in the morning. However, if exercise makes you nice and sleepy, and relieves stress, by all means do it at night!

The point is that you just do it when it makes sense for you.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    personally I have to work out in the morning so I can stretch the rest of the day randomly, if I work out hard and then go to sleep, I cant move the next morning(bad joints) and will not want to do it again!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Don't matter, just do it. I prefer to do it early morning becuase it sets me up nicely for my day but it doesn't matter Just workout.