Eating after illness.

Options
Hiya everyone! I hope someone can help me out :) I have been ill with a stomach bug since tuesday, unable to keep water down at times and so have not ate anything except some clear veggie broth last night and toast on thursday. Thanks to this my healthy eating has been messed up and I have lost 8 pounds far too quickly. I need advice in two areas and perhaps the second is more suited to the recipe section (I rarely pipe up so apologies)
My first is, shall I just continue my daily calorie intake now that I am able to eat a little more and go along that way? Get back into my routine and my body will go back to its own rhythm? I am not worried about the 8 pounds thudding back on as they were not lost in a proper way but I ammmm worried about putting on more due to my body being in famine mode and storing. I dont want my sickness to set me back especially since I cannot exercise bar walking my dog for a few more days :(

My second query is, are the any amazing immune boosting drinks or foods I could be eating over the next few days to perk myself up? I know some long term but as I begin work in a nursery next week as well as celebrating my 24th I dont want to be out of energy. Oh and im vegetarian! Thank you :D (sorry if I did this wrong!) x

Replies

• QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    you probably could benifit from a few cans of ensure or boost for muscle building, i suffer from something thats causes rapid weight loss and it's usually muscle that I lose at that time
  • andrewthread
    andrewthread Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would suggest throwing grapes, almonds and avocados in the mix. That will give you your carbs, protein and fat needed to regenerate your body. Depending on your percentage of body fat you probably burned fat as energy when you were sick, or protein (muscle). Avacodos and almonds carry the good fats so don't be too worried, but don't over do it either.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-nutrients/
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Your body won't be in starvation mode, so no need to to worry there, I think. Your body is a good guide as to what you can eat. If you don't feel like eating, don't eat (much) yet, then slowly start eating more as the effects of your stomach infection subside.
  • Girlgerm
    Girlgerm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Avocado on wholewheat toast has been the first thing to stay in my stomach. I have also have a few bananas now. Scared to try anything more.