Buying Clothes from Goodwill

Options
In case some of you haven't read old posts, I thought I would share my experience at Goodwill. Back over a year ago when I lost about 35lbs. I needed some new pants. I didn't even like paying K-Mart prices because I knew they'd be too big in a month or so. A friend mentioned Goodwill, so I gave it a try. WHAT A TREASURE TROVE of clothes. I would never have thought I could find such great clothes. Some even brand new. The coolest thing was I was able to buy higher priced name brand clothes that I wouldn't have even tried to shop for before in department or specialty stores. Pants and tops $3.75 and no tax! Also, when I tire of them, I just donate them back and buy more. So now, my favorite place to shop is Goodwill, we have 5 in my area!

Replies

• bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I love goodwill and yard sales !
    I have went from a size 18 to a 2-4
    so I have been there alot lol !!!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I heard that you can find really cute vintage treasures there too!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good to know.... plus, you are also doing something awesome for your community. We all win!
  • TriciaUlven
    TriciaUlven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love Goodwill. Down 72lbs so far & with 65 more to go it's great to know I can keep changing without continually paying for new clothes.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I also love Goodwill!!! I find a lot of nice things there for all of my family!!!
  • Kimberlycc
    Options
    Good to know.... plus, you are also doing something awesome for your community. We all win!

Yep!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yep I buy all our clothes at Goodwill. I get my toddler's clothes there--he grows out of things sooo fast I just can't imagine spending money on expensive clothes for him. But I get nice, brand name stuff (Old Navy, The Children's Place, Nautica, etc) at Goodwill for $1-2 a piece. For myself I can get Old Navy jeans, my favorite brand, for around $5 a pair.

It's a little time consuming because you have to sort through everything to find the right size, but soooo worth it!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    you're kind of making me want to hit up goodwill today!
  • Kimberlycc
    Options
    I also love Goodwill!!! I find a lot of nice things there for all of my family!!!

It's funny you say that. My hubby has gone with me because he heard a friend was able to get 'like new' Polo brand shirts. He hasn't had the luck and he quit looking. He and my son are so picky. My daughter and I rack up!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much sharing this wonderful information!!
    Robert, I hope your having a lovely Saturday!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores and yard sales but rarely ever find clothes big enough for me. I hope that will change some day!!!

Good will is good but the one here is quite expensive (for a thrift store). I live where two states border and just over the border in the other state their prices are about half of what they are here!!! I don't know why the stores differ so much....???

Also, other than good will, try the Salvation Army Thrift stores if you have one. Same as Goodwill. Also, look around to see if you have any other thrift stores in your town. We have three. Their prices are even wayyyyyyyyyyy better than Good will!!!
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    We shop there all the time as we wear out all our clothes working on the boat. Sometimes when we travel we don't bring clothes and just get some at the goodwill when we get there and take them back when we leave. If not goodwill, a consignment store.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.. I haven't bought anything new new in awhile.. also check Value Village, and see if there is a Goodwill Outlet in your area. There everything is in bins and you dig, but it's like 1.59/lb of clothes!!! I've come out of there with a HUGE back of name brand stuff for like 10 bucks before!!..
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    We have a Goodwill warehouse here where they wash all the clothes and dump them in giant bins. You pick through what you want and pay by the pound. It's time consuming but it make a regular Goodwill store look expensive. Plus you get first pick since this is the first stop for clothes. What's left in the bins after they've been picked through is what goes to the stores.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I badly need to try this. As a single mom I really need new clothes for work(I'm a size two/four wearing size eight/ten). I've neglected this long enough. lol

Atleast I keep my kids dressed nice.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I prefer to call it "G&W Men's Wear", lol!
  • Nancyhusanu
    Options

I was thinking the same thing!!
  • punk_mama
    Options

I was thinking the same thing!!

Yeah, me to!! :-D
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've shopped at second hand stores for years and also donate to them; it's a great way to re-use perfectly good clothes. The one I go to has books as well, and when I'm done reading, donate them back so they make money again. Great source of children's books at cheaper prices than a bookstore. Reduce Reuse Recycle as they say.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like goodwill, but I only buy there on 99cent sales. Else I go to our Salvation army store (better selection) or our local family thrift store (better pricing).