tofu?

Options
I'm not a veggie but Hubby and I are adventurous eaters and we like tofu. I got some in the fridge for tonight's dinner and I really like it baked in thin strips so it get's crispy. I used to marinate it in one of those packets from the grocery - awesome thing about tofu is it tastes like whatever you put on it - but those packets have a ton of sodium and other ingredients I cannot pronounce.

What should I use for a marinade? I'm pretty well stocked on the basics so any suggestions are welcome. I would also appreciate side dish options.

Further, has anyone ever made their own veggie burger from a brick of tofu? I know it crumbles really well and I can forsee an egg and a tiny bit of flour to hold it together but what about flavor?

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I suggest wrapping it up in meat :) 'cause meat taste good, therefor the TOFU would taste good!
  • chassieleigh
    Options
    I don't know about making your own bugers from tofu. I think you seem more versed in it's uses that I am overall. I would think tempeh would be closer to actual ground meat for texture, maybe. (Or just use a portobello mushroom cap - delish!)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    mmmmm, bacon wrapped tofu? I like where you're going with this! With a side of bacon? and a bacon sundae?
  • nessajk
    Options
    The first thing I learned about cooking tofu was to press it first, but it sounds like you could already be doing it.

I like to marinade with soy sauce (diluted, or it gets too salty) and just whatever other spices I am in the mood for. Some sesame seeds are good, too. My favorite though is crumbling or cubing after pressing and cooking in a little oil before adding any sauces.

I have no idea on the veggie burger front. I tend to favor soyless ones that I have black beans, rice, etc more so than soy-based.

Good luck!
  • TexasPatriot
    TexasPatriot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try chicken stock. I don't know if it would work but seems good in theory. Also how about making your own olive oil based rub with spices or lemon rind.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    we are on the same wavelength but I decided to go with a honey dijon marinade. Thanks to allrecipes.com. Now we just need sides. I may have to hit the HEB or it will be a white meal with potatoes or we do have frozen green beans?