Getting treated like a dog

No, my friends this is not a story of woe. On the contrary. What follows are some of my ponderings that made me realize that maybe it is about time we treat ourselves more like dogs (this assumes that we are responsible dog owners).
So you got yourself a dog. Happily you head over to the local pet store to buy your first bag of dog food. You are amazed at the many choices there are. Some look cheap, but some seem to have these happy dogs staring back at you. Immediately you turn the bag around and study the descriptions. "No artificial flavouring added it says, free of extra glutens, no colour added, no filler. You realize this must be the good stuff. Next you check the ingredients list; Wow, 24 % protein, 4% fibre, brown rice, oat bran, rich in Vitamin A, B... etc. Cool you say. This clearly is the healthy stuff. And that is the one you buy b/c.. well of course you love your dog. (At which point you ask yourself if you love your own body at least as much).
And sure, maybe you stop to also pick up a "treat" but even there you study the list: Oven baked, ground barley, duck, brown rice, flaxseeds, dried kelp, sweet potato, apples (the list goes on and the only sugar mentioned is cane molasses somewhere down the list and no my friends I am not making this up). As you add it to your shopping cart you wonder when it was the last time you treated yourself to such a healthy one.
At last you arrive home, happy dog in tow. First thing on the agenda.' Take dog for a walk you say to yourself b/c he/she deserves this. look at all that energy. Surely it would not be fair to coop her/him up all day. And you promise yourself and your dog that he/she can count on some daily exercise for sure. And once again you wonder what happened to your own promises to your own body which too craves that exercise.
On your walk you notice how your dog approaches everything with honesty and exuberance, other dogs are greeted with joy, in the park it is sprint here, sprint there, experience everything, sniff it all and if you gotta go, go. Ah yes to live life with such openness might not be so bad you figure.
An hour later you arrive home... panting dog, sweaty you. Before you know it your companion heads over to the "WATER" dish. Yep, water, b/c surely you did not fill her/his bowl with anything but water. No pop/soda there. "Hm you say, maybe water would not be such a bad idea for myself too"
You carefully measure out the two cups of dog food recommended for the size of your dog.. after all you do not want a fat dog, gotta think about his/her health you say, wishing you applied that same principle to yourself more frequently.
Before you know, your dog is lying peacefully near you, taking a nap, getting the rest it needs, no shortage of sleep here, which makes you ponder when the last time was when you had a solid sleep and did what your body told you. After all, you have read enough research on the effects of lack of sleep on weight gain.
As night falls and the hectic day slowly comes to an end, your eyes slowly close, your dog is watching you with contentment, your last thought before King Morpheus rules is: Maybe I too should treat myself like a dog: Buy healthy food, read the labels, eat portions that are enough, get healthy treats, yep go for walks, embrace life, sleep when you need, drink water ...of course you draw a line at the collar. So maybe , when next someone asks you how you are doing you reply: "Excellent, I am treating myself like a dog:)" Be well.

P.s. I have a happy healthy dog, his name is Jake and he has taught me much.

Replies

• fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    I love dogs!

And, I love this post! I am printing it out!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Interestingly put.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    great post :)
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    LOVE THIS! Though when my son pooped in the yard, "Like Faith" our dog, I wasn't happy! He wanted to be a puppy... Just so long as I don't have to do that, I'm good with this theory!
  • RachelLovitt
    RachelLovitt Posts: 35 Member
    You would enjoy the book Mearle's Door. Great healthy, happy dog biography!!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Touche! Great post!!!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    This is so great!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    i 100% agree and love this post! i've thought about this myself at times.

just devil's advocate though...my dog eats other dogs' poop. so....:devil:
  • I love this..I really, really love this :^D
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    So true!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Funny how something so simple can be so revelationary. Great post!
  • So inspiring and so true!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    This is great!
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Great post!! :)
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    I L-O-V-E this post!! Such a good perspective! :smile:
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Love this post!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    I was going to share this with my husband and immediately thought better of it *palm smacks forehead*.

He already thinks it's ok to pee in the shower drain. The last thing I need is him crapping in the backyard. Come to think of it, I don't want him indiscriminately burying his face in other people's crotches and I think if he figured out a way to lick his own junk I fear I'd never see him again :(

Maybe I should get him neutered.

But yes, a great comparison... to a certain point.
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Excellent post, Very eye opening! Give Jake a tummy rub for me!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Funny because it is true, we can be idiots with taking care of our health.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Not being a dog owner (allergic) I never made the comparisons. Thinking on it.....You're SO right. When I owned my African Grey Parrot I made sure all her food was THE best. I bought her healthy treats. She got her exercise daily. So why did it take me so long to get it?

Love the post!