vegetarian food thread

Options

Replies

• AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound great. As a veggie it's nice to get some new recipes. I'm heading to bed now but now that I've written on this thread I can come back tomorrow and give you some recipes I use regularly. Lasagne, Shepherds pie, Chilli and soups. Quorn is a huge staple in my diet (not for soup, obv.... ;-) )
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Today, I decided to start a blog dedicated to new recipes that I'm going to try. I set it up so I'll post the ones I plan to try (or have already) and a review after I make them. But I set it up asking readers to comment with their own favorites, as well.

It's brand spanking new, so I don't know how it will work out, but I have a few things up already (a couple I've made and a curry stew I'm planning to make this week).

I'd love for everyone to participate: http://reneesnewrecipes.wordpress.com/.

(It's a totally free blog, so I'm not making money off your click! lol I just want ideas!!)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This is a good blog for vegetarian recipes: http://www.dailygarnish.com/
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Two products that everyone might like:

Dulce flakes (or kelp granules) to make things taste fishy. I use it in mashed chickpeas to mimic tuna salad. I find it at Whole Foods but can also be found in Asian markets (though I've never found it myself).

"Better than Bullion" brand stocks. You mix about a teaspoon per cup for the most amazing stock I've ever had. They make "No Chicken," "No Beef," "Vegetable," "Mushroom," and possibly a "No Turkey" but I'm not sure.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    We don't get better than bouillon in the uk, but I've tried it in the US, and it is nice. In the UK, I swear by Swiss Marigold Bouillon - very good.

Tonight, I didn't get to the quinoa, we had an ordinary risotto instead. Made it up on the hoof, and it was really quite nice.

Broad bean and pea risotto

Sautee onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Add Arborio rice, stir till the rice looks a tiny bit transparent. Add vege stock, roughly a ladle at a time. Add either herbs de provence or fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary and parsley) and a good shake of lemon juice to taste. Keep adding the stock till the rice is more or less ready to eat - soft with just a tiny al dente centre. Add in frozen peas and broad beans. Just before stirring, I stirred in some fresh chopped baby spinach leaves.

I also toasted some sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sprinkled these on top when served. It was very good, and really protein packed.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    mmmm...this thread is making me REALLY hungry...I'll contribute a recipe in a bit.

i'm thinking of trying butternut soup since I have one to use up... :D Or if anyone has any other good butternut recipes? :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Butternut is good in everything!

Roast it and use it in a risotto - yummy.

I also use it roasted, with grilled halloumi, in a Thai curry. (bit calorific though, because of the coconut milk)
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Made this last week and it was awesome. I did make the "dressing" separately and added it at the end.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/quinoa-with-chickpeas-and-tomatoes/detail.aspx
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I make a veggie chilli every 2 weeks

In the crock pot

I stir fry/ soften : carrots, onions and peppers
    Then throw them in the crock pot with:
    Can of tomatoes
    Squirt of tomato paste
    Can kidney beans
    Can butter beans
    Small can corn
    Can black beans
    Can of - any other bean you've got
    Some textured veggie protein(dry) 1/2 cup- 1 cup
    Can black olives

Season to taste: cumin, oregano, black pepper

Serve over brown rice or quinoa
    Add shredded light cheese

I could live on this!!
    I am not a vegetarian but I love black bean chili...I think all the veggies meld together and give great flavor.

Hey have you thought of roasting veggies like fennel eggplant potato tomatoes mushrooms onion squash?? I love it! The flavors intensify. just do it with olive oil and a little s&p.

Also when it gets cold I love baked buttercup (a squash) oooo weeee it is so good.
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread!

This is one of my family's favorites:

Thai Edamame Pasta

Serves: 4

prep time: 15 minutes
    total time: 45 minutes

8 ounces of penne pasta
    1 1/2 cups shelled edamame soybeans
    1 lime
    1/2 cup medium chipotle salsa (we think chipotle salsa is best in this
    recipe)
    1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
    2 tablespoons sunflower seeds

1. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 tsp salt, stir,
    then add pasta. Cook until just al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes.

2. If edamame are frozen, microwave in a medium bowl for 2 to 3 minutes.

3. While pasta cooks, prepare the sauce. Grate the zest from the lime and
    reserve. In a medium saucepan, combine the juice from the lime, salsa,
    peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, and ginger. Heat over medium-low heat
    until just bubbling. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, about
    15 minutes.

4. Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Add cooled sauce, edamame,
    reserved lime zest, red pepper, and sauce. Toss to mix well. Sprinkle
    sunflower seeds over top and serve warm or at room temperature.

Approximate nutritional values per serving:

Calories: 490
    Carbohydrates: 68 g
    Protein: 20 g
    Fat: 15 g (0.5 g saturated)
    Sodium: 540 mg
    Fiber: 8 g
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I am making a orange ginger stir fry, my husband loves it!
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I made this meatless chicken wrap the other night that was really good.

1 Flat out bread/wrap
    2 Gardein-7 grain chicken tenders
    1/4 c. mushroom
    1/4 c. leek
    1/4 c. red bell pepper
    1.5 tblsp. greek yogurt.

239 calories. 29 carbs. 9 fat. 19 protein. 9 fiber. 2 sugar.

Bake the "chicken" while heating the wrap and sautéing the veggies. I used crisco spray, then put a bit of lemon juice and soy sauce.
    Anyway, once everything is cooked, put it all in the wrap and eat! It's superrr yummy. I'm probably going to have it today. hehe :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I am making a orange ginger stir fry, my husband loves it!

Sounds nice. Do you use the zest of the orange, or the juice?
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have homemade soup most days for lunch. This is my fav:

Roasted Red Pepper Soup (makes about 5 portions. approx 100 cals per serving)

4 large juicy red peppers
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 red onion
    1tsp Sundried tomato paste (i use waitrose one but if you cant get sundried normal will do)
    1tsp Canderel/splenda or similar
    3 Oxo veg stock cubes (or similar)
    Garlic clove
    Garlic infused olive oil
    salt and pepper

First heat oven to about 200 c
    Halve and core red peppers and place skin up on tray. Spray with olive oil on the skin. Leave in oven for about 30 mins until skin is bubbling and slightly browning. Remove from oven and place in a sealable bag for about another half an hour. Then take out of the bag and the skin should just peel off easily. Remove the burnt bits and roughly chop the peppers.

Fry onions in garlic infused olive oil (I use the empty olive oil spray bottles to fill with the garlic infused oil so that I don't use very much). Cook slowly so as not to burn the onion. Add garlic and then peppers. Fry for another few minutes and then add the tomato paste and teaspoon of "sugar" (You may need more if the paste is a little bitter). Then add the tin of chopped tomatoes and around 6 cups of boiling water. Add the 3 stock cubes and season. I know some people don't season but coming from a family of chefs I still season well as I have very little sodium elsewhere in my diet to worry about.
    The soup should simmer for about 30-40 mins until it has reduced and is looking like it's thickened a bit. Then blend and enjoy!!!
    It's mine an my husband's favourite!!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    TOnight we are trying a new recipe (dont always eat veggie, but we do sometimes. I think my hubby- and well I, would die going full on veggie!)

Spinach and broccoli enchiladas

1 med onion (we will use more)
    2 tsp olive oil
    spinach (calls for frozen, but we will do a bag of fresh)
    1 cup finely chopped broccoli
    1 cup picante sauce, divided
    garlic powder
    cumin
    8 oz cottage cheese
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    8 flour torillas (we use wheat)

1) cook and stir onion in oil until tender- add spinach, broccoli, 1/3 cup picante, garlic and cumin
    2) remove from heat, stir in cheeses
    3) put mixture into tortillas and roll
    4) cover and back at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes, uncover, sprinkle rest of cheese on top, and bake 5 more minutes. top with rest of picante.

I will be serving it with quinoa and some sort of veggie :)

Yum, I'm totally going to make these!
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    Try these zucchini fritters, they were super good and pretty easy too!
    http://lemonsavory.com/2011/09/01/zucchini-fritters/
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I'm making these tonight. I normally make falafel from dry chickpeas, soak them overnight and fry them in quite a bit of oil. This version is quicker, and lower in fat. I make my own salsa and will try that with them, as the recipe suggests. I'll elet you know how it goes.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers
  • jandueporti
    jandueporti Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    everything sounds great! - i'll probably add a few later :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not a "recipe" per say but you should try the morning star farms grillers crumbles and chik-n strips. I use them to make spaghetti with "meat sauce", tacos, rice and corn black bean taco rice, teriaki "chicken", grilled "chicken" salads.

As for an actual recipe I have copied a link to my favorite potatoes! I eat this with corn as a complete meal!

http://whatsgabycooking.com/parmesan-roasted-potatoes/