Sweet Potatoes

Options
Do you prick holes in them prior to cooking? If so, why?

Thank you. I do not prick mine and they turn out fine.

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I do it because my mom did, I only recently found out that you do that because they explode in the microwave if you don't. Do you cook your's in the oven?
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    i prick mine also so they don't explode. I have only ever cooked them in the microwave though, not an oven.
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If I cook them in the microwave (I rarely do), I poke holes in them. Otherwise, I don't. I was taught to wrap them in foil when baking them in the oven, but I don't do that anymore either.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    no holes for mine, but this last batch I bought were the microwave in the plastic for 7 minute kind. The ones before, when I baked them in the oven, I did them the same as regular potatoes and poked them all over.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    No holes for mine, thanks for asking.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven. No foil. No holes.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    For BBQ and oven I wrap in foil but no holes. Sometimes I peel, cut into chunks and steam especially if I don't want to heat up the kitchen.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I love SWEET POTATO PIE! I will do ANYTHING for one..yes even kill! lol
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I do because my grandma told me to.

This is also why I only use real butter when baking (none of that margarine or shortening crap), fry my chicken in Crisco as opposed to oil and use lard in my homemade noodles and pie crusts. I'm sure none of it makes much sense (and it is obviously not healthy), but I do not argue with my grandma. She is a very smart lady.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My grandma didn't give me any cooking/baking instructions. She didn't like me much. She probably wanted my food to taste awful.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven. No foil. No holes.

^^^ this!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Contrarian, if it is any consolation I am pretty sure my grandma's cooking/baking instructions are why I became fat. Maybe your grandma was trying to help you out.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I do it because my mom did, I only recently found out that you do that because they explode in the microwave if you don't. Do you cook your's in the oven?

Ditto! I've never cooked them in the microwave, but my mom always "stabbed" them so that's why I do.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I only prick holes in them if they try to get outta line. Sweet potatoes get a good reputation from their name. But trust me, sometimes you need to put them in their place.