Too much protein?

Options
Is it really bad to have too much protein? I know to an extent, you shouldn't have too much of anything. But my reports are saying I'm eating too much protein when it's only comprising 20% of my calories so far. And I haven't even had dinner, which was going to be chicken and brown rice! This is without me really trying to have extra protein, and I was planning on starting to have protein shakes for breakfast. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to get healthier and tone up a little. What should my limit really be?
Thanks for your help!

(Also it's saying I'm at my limit for fat for the day, but it has ALL come from nuts/almond butter. Bad?)

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    As long as you have two healthy kidneys & exercise semi regularly, you should be fine. (I’m a donor & that’s what the dietician said pre-surgery.)
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I always seem to go over the protein, by quite a bit usually- and it doesn't affect my weight loss- i'm still losing pretty well :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I go way over protien, have been trying to hit 1.5 grms per lb i weigh
    thats 200 a day!! I seem to be toning better & quicker, and find im
    always satisfied
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    never fear if you go over protein, iron, vitamins, etc unless you have a medical condition that says otherwise. it's usually carbs, fats, sugars, and calories I have to watch.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    MFP figures are low, if you are training hard you can and should consume a lot of protein. It helps in many different ways, I have found it really helps muscle soreness too which is a big plus!, I hit 200g + some days which isnt quite 1g per lb for me but 1g per lb is what a lot of people aim for during intense training.

Going over a little on protein is a good thing!!! lol

Ben.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    20% certainly shouldn't be "too much"! If you have a division of calories in mind for yourself that you know works, you can change them in MFP, rather than use what it gives you. If you have concerns about your personal health situation, give your doctor a quick call.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    never fear if you go over protein, iron, vitamins, etc unless you have a medical condition that says otherwise. it's usually carbs, fats, sugars, and calories I have to watch.
    Actually too much iron can be fatal, as can a lot of vitamins and minerals. Too much of anything is not good.

Protein should be between 15-35% of your total calories, generally. More if you are lifting to build muscle. A lot of people on this board toss around the formula of "1 gram of protein per POUND of bodyweight." Which is wrong. The actual formula is 1 gram of protein per KILOGRAM of bodyweight for an average human diet.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of false information out there as to how much/little we need of any particular food. The formula for protein is: 1/2 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. That means women need 60-90 grams of protein per day. I exercise 3 times a week so I eat closer to 90 grams a day.

If you know how the body works, this becomes a "piece of cake". (No pun intended!)

Basically, insulin (a metabolic hormone with many vital functions. One of them is producing and storing body fat from excess carbohydrates) creates fat storage and glucagon (Another metabolic hormone, with opposing functions to insulin. Glucagon unlocks fat storages and releases fat for energy purposes) creates fat burning. Proteins trigger glucagon (fat burning). Carbohydrates trigger insulin (fat storage).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actually protein also causes an insulin response.