how to make plain brown rice yummy

Options
with out adding a lot of calories, any ideas please? I am making baked skinless chicken and broccoli for dinner and adding brown rice but dont want just plain brown rice. Any ideas?

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I either cook it in low sodium broth or add a bouillon cube (1 cube per each cup water) to the water while it's cooking- or crush the bouillon cube after it's done and mix it in.

Adds very little calories but a bazillion mg. of sodium-haha
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Cook it in chicken stock with garlic and onion instead of water.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I spray it with fake butter and then a dash of no salt.
  • gypsycraft
    Options
    I like cooking brown rice with a bouillon cube for flavor. Sometimes add in a little frozen corn or peas. :smile:
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options

This is really awesome! Sautee the onion and garlic bits in the bottom of the pot before adding rice and stock. If it goes with your dinner, add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste and sautee it for 30 sec-1 min (after garlic/onions are soft and browned). Whisk into broth and add the rice.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I saute onions n mushrooms in olive olive, add a can of black beans (rinsed) and a corn of corn (no salt added) and some pepper - delicious and really bumps up fiber and protein and very filling...
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You could always add lime and cilantro, but I think I like the other posters ideas better.
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    put a bit of olive oil in the water while the rice is cooking, then add a little salt. Salt won't kill you, your body does need some! Or chop some fresh herbs into it if you don't want to add salt - like thyme and tarragon.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options

This is really awesome! Sautee the onion and garlic bits in the bottom of the pot before adding rice and stock. If it goes with your dinner, add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste and sautee it for 30 sec-1 min (after garlic/onions are soft and browned). Whisk into broth and add the rice.

Ok thanks! That is exactly what I am going to do!!!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have cooked mine with garlic and low sodium chicken broth instead of water. I also like to chop up some mushrooms pretty small and then saute them and add them to the rice when it's done along with a wedge of laughing cow garlic and herb cheese. It makes a kind of mock risotto.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have cooked mine with garlic and low sodium chicken broth instead of water. I also like to chop up some mushrooms pretty small and then saute them and add them to the rice when it's done along with a wedge of laughing cow garlic and herb cheese. It makes a kind of mock risotto.

Bump to save this for later. Sounds great!
  • kmo566
    kmo566 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Salsa! I added Newman's Own Lime Salsa to my brown rice last night... it was way more tasty than it should've been :)
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Tea bags in the water or use veggie/chicken/beef broth

Add salsa, Add black beans (or any kind), Add veggies, add mushrooms, add nuts, add fruit ( I did a mango black bean), add garlic, so many options!!! :bigsmile:
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

I have done this! Yummy!!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    lemon juice!
  • jayb123x
    Options
    Lot's of good ideas here. I use any combo of black beans, mixed veggies, cilantro, chopped black olives, lemon juice.