What is your favorite TOFU dish?

Options
Justjoshin
Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
I don't make tofu much, but I do enjoy it.

Curious what your favorite tofu dish is. I need some ideas on what to make tomorrow!

Thanks

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Pan fried tofu is my favorite, but I'll eat it any way... I've never made it myself though, too scared I'd screw it up and waste my time and money!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Tofu shiritaki noodles!
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I haven't had much luck with tofu...I really want to like it. I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and I've had it a hand full of times. But, recently I made *****in Breakfast Burritos from the Skinny ***** cook book. It is tofu, Gimme Lean sausage substitute and spices in a whole wheat wrap. Even my very picky kids and meat lovin husband liked this one. It was very easy to make also!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use the firm or extra firm, and dry-fry it. You basically have to cut it half depth-wise, and then cut it into triangles or squares. Then you press it for awhile in paper towels to squeeze every last bit of water out (I put it between heavy plates). Once it's pretty dry, I fry it in a pan with no oil or spray until it's nice and brown on the outside. I use brown rice, egg whites, veggies, and sesame oil to make delicious tofu fried rice.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I drain it, pat it dry, and then fry it in olive oil, and drain off the extra oil. I like the extra firm tofu. I've heard it's also good to coat it in nutritional yeast before frying too.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble. If you do it right, it tastes a lot like scrambled eggs and veggies. I haven't got it right yet at home, but it's been fantastic anytime I have it in a restaurant. I am going to keep trying.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Tofu shiritaki noodles with zucchini sauteed in low sodium chicken broth add a little salt and garlic powder 1/3 cup shredded cheese if you like its delicious
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Fajitas/stir fry. I get green peppers, waterchestnuts, green beans (which I dont eat buy my girl does), egg noodles (same note as before), and some other things Im failing to remember. I then use a lot of spices, herbs, and suaces, including cocktail sauce, wochestershire sauce, soy sauce, barbque sauce, buffalo sauce, basil, garlic, garlic salt, pepprika, a dash of chili powder, and whatever I can pull out. Then I add some rice, lay that in a tortilla, its delicious
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....love me some 'fu! I almost always slice and press it for at least 20 minutes before cooking. Season it well and let it sit for a minute (or marinate it in the fridge for a little bit, but I rarely think to do this). I saute it in a pan with just a tiny splash of olive oil and cook it until it's crisp on the outside. My FAVORITE way is to season it with a Moroccan seasoning by Pampered Chef and then pan saute it until crisp on the outside. Remove from the pan and brush with just a little bit of melted fruit-only apricot preserves. I serve this with Israeli couscous that I've made with veggie broth, a few snipped dried apricots, more of the Moroccan seasoning, and then add toasted almonds and chopped fresh cilantro just before serving. Delish!

My second favorite way is not low calorie, but it's a comfort food for me (but I don't have it often). Tofu cubes seasoned well with Tony's Chachere's Cajun seasoning and sauteed in a pan until browned. Then covered with a mushroom gravy and serve over mashed 'taters. I only cook this when I'm absolutely craving it (every few months at most).
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Umm... honestly, salt and pepper tofu and agedashi tofu! Tofu tastes awesome deep fried, but that's definitely a very occasional splurge food.

I always have tofu in my stir frys.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I never used to like tofu until I tried Tofu nuggets, they are AMAZING. After you cook them you can put them in the fridge and snack on them any time.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Cut 2 pounds extra firm tofu into bit size squares and place in a 10x12 baking dish.
    Mix together and pour over tofu: 1/4 C tamari or soy sauce
    2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
    1/3 Cup rice vinegar
    1/4 Cup minced garlic (it seems like a lot, but don't use any less!)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon black pepper.
    Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
    This recipe will change your life! ;}

P.S. This recipe is intended for "American" Tofu. Since I have moved to the UK I have tried making this recipe and the consistency of tofu is different here for some reason. The tofu in the UK burns more easily, and just isn't the same. :(
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I make a red chinese tofu dish that is lovely, the tofu is marinaded in rice wine, soy, garlic, ginger and 5 spice with a pinch of sugar and then dry fried. I serve it with noodles and stir fried veggies.

Also absolutely love it in broth style soups makes with loads of lightly cooked vegetables, delicious and always makes me feel really good when i have eaten it.
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My latest favorite tofu dish is Dave's Teriyaki Tofu.

Delish!

http://www.dietsinreview.com/recipes/daves-teriyaki-tofu/
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My favourite tofu dish is agedashi tofu, but I haven't had it since starting on here. Lately I've been marinating tofu slices in tamari sauce and then baking it for about 20 minutes. I then add it to everything - steamed veggies, salads, etc. I live alone so I usually bake up a whole bunch of it on Sundays and then add it to meals for the entire week.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Drain it. Slice it into like 1/4-1/2 slices. Put in a deep bowl and pour a ginger teriyaki marinade over it. Sometimes I cheat and use Trader Joes ( Trader Mings Teriyaki). Let it sit for awhile, then lay the pieces flat on a baking sheet. ( I use a broiler sheet so the jucies drain off). Coat the pieces with the rest of the sauce. Cook 20-30 min until golden brown. be sure to take them off the baking sheet right away or they stick.

my husband loves these and drizzzles agave on tthem. One night I made this to bring to work the next day, when he came home he ate them all!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    if you do a Seach here you will probably find a ton of recipes. :)
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump