What do you do to calm your nerves (excitement) before a rac

Options
Does anyone else get so excited the night before a race? I am running my second 5k tomorrow in honor of
9-11 and I am so wired that I don't think I will get any sleep tonight. I will be running through the Bankhead tunnel under the Mobile River. I'm kind of nervous because the tunnel is narrow and it's within the first mile of the race where it's still kiind of crowded. Hopefully, I'll be able to thread my way through the crowd without injuring me or anyone else. lol Any suggestions on calming myself down would be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Options
    Don't do anything different. Stick to your normal routine and you'll be fine.
    Best of luck!!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but I ran my first 5K after a couple of years on hiatus this morning and I slept like cr@p all night. I usually take melatonin before bed to help lull me to sleep, and I skipped it because I had to be up so early and I swear I laid in bed all night and waited for the alarm clock to go off. lol.

Good luck tomorrow! Maybe warm some milk and drink it to see if that helps (my Mom used to tell me that)?
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. Doing my first next weekend...looking for suggestions.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. Doing my first next weekend...looking for suggestions.

Don't give up. The 1st week is the hardest. Make it thru that and you're home free. You can do it.
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a lot you can take that wont make you drowsy. Do you do breathing exercises, guided imagery or meditation? There is a website called fragrantheart.com that has wonderful free on-line guided imagery for stress, relaxation, etc. There is also an over-the counter homeopathic supplement called Nerve Tonic by Hylands. It dissolves on your tongue. I find it very helpful for stress or panic.

Good Luck. I'm sure you will do GREAT!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I can't help you. I have nightmares the night before races (starting late, problems with packet pick up, taking the wrong route to the finish, thinking I finished, then realizing the finish line is still several yards away)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ditto on don't do anything different! Dont take anything, homeopathic or otherwise, if you haven't ever tried it before. Just make sure you have your race packet, clothes, sneakers and whatever else you need for the race start set aside tonight so you dont have to think about that tomorrow. And then do something to take your mind off of it, eg, read a book, listen to music, watch tv, yoga/stretch. Try to relax and enjoy the moment!!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just wanted everyone to know that I only got about two hours of sleep but I was so pumped up by the crowd that it didn't matter! I ran the entire race, even the incline out of the tunnel. It was awesome! :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Just wanted everyone to know that I only got about two hours of sleep but I was so pumped up by the crowd that it didn't matter! I ran the entire race, even the incline out of the tunnel. It was awesome! :)

I've read somewhere that it's the sleep you get two nights before the race that counts the most towards your race performance. Congratulations on your race!! Hope you enjoyed yourself!!