Calorie sticker shock: have you experienced this?

Options
13»

Replies

• sarehhh
    Options
    when in doubt, order meat. that's what i do. i'll get a steak without the butter on top. a 6 oz steak is a 6 oz steak. then double veggies...usually it's under 600. i stay away from salads unless its a side salad then i ask for no cheese, pick off crutons, and get dressing on the side. all the stuff they put on the salad is what kills it.

Cheese on a salad? :| Yuck!!!!! Salad is nice enough without any extras :)
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and I think it happens to all of us in the beginning when we finally WANT to know what that meal is going to cost us! LOL

And you nailed the idea of a Calorie Budget. I do really think of it as calorie money for the day...What am I willing to "pay" from my 1300 cals a day? is what I ask myself.

It really makes a difference if restaurants SHOW calorie counts on menus. You do rethink choices (and sometimes you DO feel it is worth it if you plan for it) and that is what I try to do ....if I know I am going out (not spontaneous choice) I check out the numbers here on the Data Base for that restaurant or something similar. I do have the app on the iPhone so that is handy for the spur of the moment.

None of us are perfect but we are trying to be better! :flowerforyou:
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Worst for me was one cinnabon for 880 calories. I was shocked!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much anything in a restaurant shocks me. I can make a huge home cooked dinner and stuff my self silly for no more than 600 calories but something similar in a restaurant is double that. Chinese food is crazy. I logged if after eating it only to find that my meal was 1300 calories (with only eating half the egg roll!). I wasn't even full either!
  • Papaepic
    Papaepic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nice catch on the Pam cooking spray. I had no idea.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about smart phones! I can look something up before I order!

I need one! So tired of my Dumbphone!