Running without getting bulky

40lbsless
40lbsless Posts: 5
edited October 2 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started getting back in shape. I used to be 5'5'' and 132lbs and like a size 2. Now i'm 5'5'' and 148 and a snug size 4. This time I'm trying to get to 110-115lbs. And, I want to use that through running and of course healthy eating. I have a good metabolism so I think I can lose these 20lbs by December or something. I plan on doing interval training 6 days a week. The only problem is interval training creates an increase in muscle especially in the thigh/butt area. Is there another exercise I can do to not let me gain that much muscle mass? Or else I'll end up with huge thighs. Advice?

Replies

• AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    The added muscle is a good thing because the more muscle, the faster your body will burn the calories needed to get to your goal weight. If you're looking for other means of cardio, yoga & swimming are great and aren't as hard on the leg muscles as running.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Running will not necessarily cause your thigh muscles to increase in size, interval training won't do it either unless you have a calorie excess and you're doing alot of hill runs AND you have a genetic predisposition to build muscle in response to exercise, which most women don't have. Only the power runners (sprinters) have big thighs, all the distance runners tend to be slender. But if you're still worried, you could do walking/running intervals. Personally I put some weight training in the mix too. During your run, you could stop and do pushups, use the benches to do triceps dips, all sorts of things are possible. Do a net search on body weight exercises to get you started.

Great that you're looking at healthy activity and eating so young, your body will thank you by the time you're my age (51).
  • I suppose I should just accept the muscle coming. I guess since I'm a female, the muscle gain won't be that outrageous. I was just worried because I gain weight in my thighs and glutes first. I'll also not add any inclines to my runs.

Oh and to the second poster, I really want to maintain my fitness this time. There's no time to slack. I want to be those hot 60 year old women lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    You will not gain muscle mass from running/interval training/running up hills while eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise hard and eat well :smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I have gone from a size 14 to a size 0/2 running 3-5 days a week for the last year and a half.... The only place I have gained significant muscle mass, to be honest, is in my calves which I sometimes find makes clothes shopping difficult. Otherwise I am very lean. Do interval running/hills 1-2 times a week and fit in a longer training run and1-2 easy runs throughout the week if you want to stay lean and improve your fitness and endurance.

Seriously, though. I've never heard of anyone "bulking up" from running...
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Find me a runner that has big legs...lol. Running will not build significant muscle, none at all if calorie deficit.
This discussion has been closed.