Last meal question

Options
Ok, so I work nights and I don't get home until 1 in the moring 3 nights a week and 3 in the morning 2 nights a week.
So my question is this: When should I eat my last meal of the day? Most of the suggestions cater to people who sleep on a regular schedule, if I stop eating at 8 pm...well let's just say I wouldn't be a fun person to work with for the last couple of hours.

I welcome all of your suggestions/feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Depends on what time you go to sleep..If I cut my eating off at 6pm and go to bed at 10, than I would say 4 hours before your bed time. However since I work till 10 pm a lot, my cutoff changes to 7 or 8 pm, because I know I'll come home wound up and unable to sleep right away.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    There is no hard and fast rule, and like most weightloss "rules" different schools of thought - personally I try and eat my last meal at least 3 hours before I go to bed....but sometimes I would have a few berries and yoghurt as a late night snack...
  • suzicooper
    Options
    I think as long as your only having three healthy means a day and sticking to your calories there shouldnt be a problem since you dont have normal sleep patterns :-)
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I try to time my meals from when I wake up

Breakfast 1 hour after waking
    Lunch 6 hours after waking
    Dinner 12 hours after waking

of course work and uni get in the way for me too!

I know a lot of people here suggest leaving quite a large gap between dinner and sleep so you can burn some of it off, but for me I find if I leave too long then I wake up really hungry the next day - which can lead to a horrible day, epecially if my breakfast is skimpy, I'll end up snacking all day!

Just find what works for you, eat when you are hungry!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, I suggest reading this link below.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/447011-eating-late-weight-gain/
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article killagb recommended ... the idea that you are somehow helping your weight loss goals by not eating several hours before your last meal and going to bed is a complete myth which causes a detriment to many healthy eating plans. Eating healthy, and the right amounts, is what is key, when you eat them through the day has been proven by decades of research not to matter at all.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input, everyone, and thank you for the link killagb. Every once in a while I get into the habit of snacking before bed which not only keeps me up that much longer but it adds (sometimes too many) extra calories onto the end of my day.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat your biggest meal close to going to bed, but have something before you sleep.
    I like to have a bowl of cereal/muesli right before bed.