tell me about your "first time"

Options
.... running a 5K

gotchya, hahaha! ;)

What was your time? was it what you expect? how did you prepare? did you do C25K? etc?

I have no idea what to expect! I just started running like a week ago and I am planning on entering a 5K to keep myself motivated! I am pretty excited about it! I just have no idea where to start! Obviously, I have searched google for 5K times and such, but wanted to hear it from MFP friends ;)

so let's hear it :)

Replies

• ant_man
    Options
    well when is your 5k run? have u set up goals leading upto it.. what is your training like before the race?
    well i have never done a run like that. i just go for a run on a day n what not..
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I was using Hal Higdon's beginner 5k program. I got overzealous though (trying to push his recommended distances, etc) and got derailed by your typical over-training injuries. But I'd signed up for the 5k, so I showed up.

I expected to walk a lot. Hoped to run at least half. But I ended up running the whole thing. Slowly, but it was a "run" lol.

I've heard great things about the couch to 5k. I continue to use halhigdon.com because he has trained me through my first 5K, 10K and half-Marathon.

Best of luck! You have every reason to be excited!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hasn't happened yet!

Next year = first 5k (Disney) and first Tough Mudder, location tbd...oh yeah, I'm scared!
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last august. I did it in 38.40 and was happy with that for me. I dont love to run, but i love when a good run is over. good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you've just started to run... try to squeeze in a Couch to 5K program beforehand or take a Learn to Run clinic at your local running store beforehand as they will help prepare you properly. Too many people get injured by doing too much, too soon and not training for an event. Don't let that be you!

For your first 5K...Relax, breath and take it all in! Have Fun! Meet People! 5K's are short races which are usually full of fun.

You'll go in not knowing what to expect and every race is different.

Don't try to run with the fastest people, run your own pace. This race is about you.

Most importantly have FUN!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K this past spring. It was an AWESOME experience, despite the fact that it was held during a torrential downpour (literally), and it was FREEZING! I ended up coming in as the FIRST overall female! I couldn't even believe it. My time was 23:56. I was pretty proud of myself!

I would definitely recommend registering for a race. It gives you something to reach for, and it provides a HUGE sense of accomplishment when you finish! Good for you for making the decision to set that goal! :)

P.S. I used a combination of Hal Higdon's training plan, and the Runner's World (online) Smart Coach training program (which provides training paces based on goal times). Just google "Smart Coach"!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This probably won't help you much because at the time of my first 5k, I'd been running for about a year already. I ran it in about 24 minutes. I think what you'll experience is that it's REALLY fun! Don't put any pressure on yourself to finish in a certain amount of time. Just get out there and run and get the first one under your belt. Then, more than likely, you'll want to run another one and try to better your time from the last one and so on. Good Luck!!
  • aprilhelmreich
    aprilhelmreich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one a good while ago. It was straight down a mountain and then right back up. It was a brutal trail run and probably not the best idea for my first 5K. But I did it. Took me 59 min but I did it. And my skinny sister took just as long as I did (and got 3rd for her age group) So I know I wasn't too far off everyone else. It was gorgeous and I should probably time myself running it again.

Oh! And it is really fun. Running with a bunch of people is such a rush. You will LOVE it!
  • widmar
    Options
    It is such an amazing feeling of accomplishment.... and lot's of fun!! Enjoy and don't push yourself too hard the first time.
    Have fun with it!!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! i am excited!

great advice! i will have to check out all the resources
  • Eatone1
    Eatone1 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K a few years back on the 4th of July. Despite having to walk some and hurting my sciatic nerve the day before, I still completed it in under 35 minutes. I was pretty proud of myself, but then I could hardly walk for several weeks and had to completely lay off of any exercise. My goal is to work myself back up to a 5K.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i just competed in my first 5k today! i started the c25k programme in may and by week 6 i got fed up of walking and decided to run it the first time a ran a 5k i did it in 38 minutes, my time has got better and i ran it today in 26:11! which im very pleased about! next goal is to get it under 25!