Heart Rate vs Calories Burned

Options
I recently invested in a Polar Heart Rate monitor so I could verify that I was working out in my target zone. I noticed that when I take spin class my heart rate will tend to exceed my target zone and I am wondering how that impacts the calories you burn? If your heart rate is outside the target zone, either higher or lower, do you burn less calories? I don't want to pull back my intensity during spinning but I don't want to burn less calories as a result either. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If you go to the Polar website and download the full manual it will explain most all that too you. Lots of good info on Polar website.
    TF
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The faster your heart rate the more calories you burn.

HOWEVER, to improve your cardio fitness it is MUCH better to stay in your zone. If not, you are literally pushing your heart too hard which is not good for you at all, and you actually won't improve your fitness as quickly.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are exceeding your target zone in something like a spin class, it is likely that the max heart rate estimated by the HRM is lower than your actual max heart rate, and the HRM is miscalculating all of your heart rate zones.

HRMs are not magic devices. They do nothing except count your pulse rate. The quality of information you get from an HRM is directly related to the accuracy and quality of the setup information. There is a lot of variability in HR response to exercise--HRM manufacturers don't want to tell you up front that the user must have some basic knowledge of exercise physiology or go through a trial and error period in order to make effective use of their products.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you are exceeding your target zone in something like a spin class, it is likely that the max heart rate estimated by the HRM is lower than your actual max heart rate, and the HRM is miscalculating all of your heart rate zones.

That was the case for me. My max heart rate is higher than normal -- but that is just the way I was put together, I guess. Once I adjusted my max heart rate, the ranges seemed to make more sense (and actually be challenging).