Strength Training Question

Options
I've recently started lifting weights again (some free, some machine). In the past when I've done weights I bulk up - especially in my legs. I don't want this so what's the best plan to avoid this? I'm currently doing Max lbs @ 12 reps.

Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• racerchick48
    racerchick48 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to do more reps with less weight. It's working for me so far!
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    To tone rather than bulk you do less weight and more reps :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You could do x20 instead of x12 I suppose, but I think that if your body naturally does that (like mine), there isn't much you can do to avoid it! Try to do things like yoga, lots of stretching and cardio activities. These kinda maybe might help in an attempt to keep muscles long and lean.

I've always been on the other side of the fence, I love to see my muscles!!!!!!!!!
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    You can go to weight that keeps you at 5 reps or less, this usually stimulates strength through neural development not muscle size. In other words, your nervous system adapts to recruit more muscle fiber at once, rather than your muscle adapting with size.

You can go to weight that you can do at 16 reps or more, however, many people find that high reps are a great way to add bulk. These are most often men.

Or you can simply not work your legs if you are happy with how they are now, and focus on upper body and core.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's most likely only temporary. Women do not bulk up generally unless they are taking male hormones. When you lift you get that pump, it happens to everyone and does go away in a few hours. Also your muscles can retain water so easily once you start exercising regularly. Generally once you lose body fat from that area, it will look slimmer and more toned.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy weights, for fewer reps. By all means do what you enjoy most but don't steer clear just because your scared you will get bigger. I've been lifting for a while, my muscles got slightly bigger in the first months (not bulky) but have now stayed the same size roughly, only difference is a loss of body fat, along with an increase in strength!
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone. :)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Running along with doing high rep/low weight (like 100 leg presses) has done it for me.