Diving into the world of tofu! Any ideas?

Options
Phoenixflame
Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
So, I'm buying tofu tonight. I want to cook something with it.

However, I want to cook something healthy--no deep fried or oil-soaked for me!

Any ideas on yummy recipes? What kind of tofu should I buy?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So, I'm buying tofu tonight. I want to cook something with it.

However, I want to cook something healthy--no deep fried or oil-soaked for me!

Any ideas on yummy recipes? What kind of tofu should I buy?
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm new to tofu also but I got the Hungry girl cookbook for Christmas so I'm going to go at lunch and try to find some of those tofu fettucini noodles. She has a lot of recipes in the book made with those so we'll see...
    good luck!!
  • glancees
    Options
    I don't have the nutrition info on it, but here is a recipe I learned when I lived in Japan. I've modified it a bit for my family.

Mabodofu
    1 lb turkey sausage or plain ground turkey (the original recipe called for pork sausage)
    2 cups chopped veggies (I use carrots, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, whatever you like best)

Brown and crumble the meat in a little bit (about 2 tsp) of olive oil. Remove it to another bowl and stir fry the veggies in the same pan until they are a little soft (3-5 minutes). Add the meat back in and mix in

1 cup of water
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1-2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp powdered ginger

Stir it well then cut up into cubes
    1 package firm tofu (extra firm works well, too)
    Add the tofu to the meat and veggies. Once the liquid starts to bubble, mix in a small bowl
    1/3 cup water
    1 Tbsp corn starch
    Add the corn starch mixture to the meat, veggies and tofu. When it starts to thicken, you are done. I serve this over sticky rice but you can also just eat it without the rice.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have yet to venture into this one. a little scarey don't know why LOL
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I reccomend "Tofu 2 Go" in the sesame ginger flavor. Its great in stir frys, just chop it up and throw it in at the last minute to heat it through. Tofu shiritaki noodles are a great substitute for pasta (I find them at Safeway in the produce section, next to the soba noodles). The texture is a bit difficult to get used to at first, but if you slather enough spagetti sauce on them and they are great. If you are going for plain tofu, firm is best for stir frys and soft is great for shakes and as a substitute for ricotta cheese. (I put tofu in my lasagna, and my husband is none the wiser). Also, I posted a recipe called "faux pho" a couple of days ago that had tofu in it. It was super yummy and very filling.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I tried the noodles tonight and I had a really hard time with the texture. I wanted to like them, but couldn't :laugh:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    My first tofu cooking experience was a vegan pad thai recipe. Lots of random weird ingredients, but turned out pretty yummy.

It was from a cookbook and way over complicated, but I learned the extra firm tofu is easy to work with.

:drinker:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I just can't make myself like it. I've tried. The noodles were gross. Soymilk gives me aftertaste. I really really want to love it. I do.
    *boohoo*:sad:
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    :laugh: Agreed, tofu shiritaki noodles are difficult to get used to. Don't let them discourage you from eating tofu all together though! As for the noodles, I promise you do get used to them after a while. I've learned to cook them a bit longer then the package says to because it softens them up. Did I mention you need lots of sauce for the noodles to be good?
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    there are so many possibilities for tofu; there's absolutely no reason to be afraid of it....

chicken tofu
    chicken pieces, one block tofu, sugar and shoyu to taste, green onions optional. very simple and easy, you could use pork instead of chicken.

tuna tofu burgers
    canned tuna, tofu, eggs, minced string beans, carrots, salt. mix and fry.

throw together chicken pieces, chinese peas, tofu, carrots, onions, whatever, and add some oyster sauce, water, and cornstarch for a quick stir-fry.

there is even such a thing as tofu pie, using jell-o for flavor. it's a cool refrigerated dessert that's sooo good on a hot day.

cooking might be better to use firm tofu, because the soft ones will squash up into pieces if you're stir-frying.
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is really simple and I may have posted this before-
    I love tofu on anything. My favorite way to prepare it is to press the water out (I buy firm and usually Panda brand but it's made in Michigan which is where I live). Cut it up into slices and put into a sandwhich bag.
    Make a marinade out of equal parts olive oil and basalmic vinegar and add garlic, s&p and some other herbs (basil, oregano, parsley, etc). Pour the marinade over the tofu and let it sit for a half an hour to a day.
    Put tofu on a broiling pan. Set shelf in oven on 2nd to highest rack and broil the tofu for about 4-6 minutes on each side. This gives it a good non-rubbery texture and great flavor.
    From here I will mix it with pasta and veggies (and eat it dry or throw a little olive oil or broth on it) or my favorite, on a salad with some other veggies and fresh mozzarella! I can't lie, sometimes I just eat it plain, it's just so good.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    I love tofu. It takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. Throw it in soups, stews, stirfry's etc... It's yummy!!!
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I used to cook with Tofu often. Baked tofu is okay seasoned. There is a great cook book called The New Soy Cookbook. The benefits of tofu are great. It is packed full of soy protein which has been proven to aid weight loss. A study from Brigham Young University proved that 20g of soy protein added to your diets daily significantly aids weight loss. I am a Vegetarian. I am not partial to tofu, but I love other soy products. Boca burgers, Soy protein shakes, fresh soybean cooked with orange zest and a little marmalade. There are many great tasting soy options.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    An easy and yummy recipe for tofu from Marilu Henner's total beauty makeover book:
    Stir Fry Spagetti - serves 6
    1lb spagetti
    2t xtra virgin olive oil
    2 cups boccoli, small florets
    2 red peppers 1 inch julienne
    1 lb firm tofu, well drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
    3 lrg mushrooms sliced
    1 c fresh basil chopped
    1 cup sliced blk olives
    2 lrg garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup bottled low fat natural italian dressing
    1/2 t blk pepper
    2 t no salt italian herbal seasoning blend
    cook pasta. Heat olive oil and saute broccoli fir 2-3 minutes. add red pepper and cook 1 minute. Add tofu, mushrooms, olives, basil and garlic cook for 1 minute. add the rest of ingredients and pasta. toss until mixed and heated evenly Enjoy!
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I also like to use tofu where I would use ricotta cheese, like in a lasagna or stuffed shells. Just blend it up with spinach and use it to stuff pasta. The family doesn't know the diff. Also, Trader Joe's has some great flavored tofu (teriyaki etc) There are nice to toss into a salad with mandarin oranges and almonds. You don't even need a dressing