Heart Rate Monitors/Calorie Counter

Options
I've been very interested in purchasing a heart monitor that also calculates calories burned through exercise. I like the idea of a watch better than one I have to strap to my chest. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You need a chest strap for it to be accurate. Get one by Polar. I have the FT7 and love it!
  • rasrec
    rasrec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you are willing to invest, I've heard nothing but good about the Garmin Forerunner 610; however, with EVERYTHING (heart rate monitor included) it runs almost $400. Check out one very in-depth review at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garmin-forerunner-610-in-depth-review.html.

I'm truly thinking about laying down my cash for this one before Christmas...unless I hear otherwise...
  • androidhelen27
    Options
    The watch-style ones generally have a chest strap anyway - the chest straps aren't really that noticeable when you wear them so don't be put off!
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the polar f7, the chest strap feels fine, is barely noticeable. I <3 it!
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    oops double post!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You will need one with a chest strap if you want it to be more accurate. They take measurement constantly and figure calories that way. The chest strap isn't as noticeable as you'd expect.

I've had both Polar (ft4 series and up keep track of calories, ft7 and up are most accurate) and Garmin (these have gps added in, 400 series and up keep track of calories). They have lasted through a lot of abuse a many years. In the past I used Timex and Sportsline. Bother were fine but didn't make it a year.

Good luck with your decision.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Since you are female, the transmitter strap will sit just under the bottom edge of your bra. No big deal. As others have said, this type is much more accurate since it monitors your heart 100% of the time you are working out. The type w/o the chest strap will only monitor when you touch the fingers of your opposite hand to the watch part. No comparison on which will be more accurate.

Polar is the standard of the industry--go to their website to determine which one you would like, then look for deals online. Good investment!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and so does my friend we both love it......
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Polar and Garmin are certainly the most popular and get great reviews.

I looked at all the current options and as I was a cyclist rather than a runner and I didn't want to shell out £100s just yet, I went for the Polar FT4. It's fairly basic, but comes with a chest strap that even fits comfortably round my 50" chest. Sure it felt weird the first couple of times I wore it, but I even wore it to work one day as I wanted to see how many calories I burnt walking and it never got unbearable (sure I had to adjust myself a few times in the gents, but so what! :laugh: )

The FT4 is so simple to setup and it lets me see how I'm doing and is more accurate than the MFP guestimates. It only gives time, calories, in Zone, avHr and maxHR, but that's all that I need at the moment, together with the trip computer for my bike.

Certainly, it's a case of you get what you pay for, but I got my FT4 for only £55 through Amazon and I believe they are even cheaper in the US.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't expecting such a great response!
    Thank you all for your tips. I am pretty new to the fitness scene. I will look into one with a chest strap. I'm glad to hear that the straps aren't as cumbersome as I probably imagined.
    Thanks again!!