LOW METABOLISM AND IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

Options
I HAVE VERY LOW MATABOLISM ANY ADVICE ON FOODS THAT HELP OR ANY THING THAT CAN BOOST IT. I ALSO HAVE IBS IS THERE ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT MAY LIKE TO TELL ME HOW THEY COPE WITH THIS AWFUL DISEASE?

Replies

• proudmom
    proudmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I HAVE VERY LOW MATABOLISM ANY ADVICE ON FOODS THAT HELP OR ANY THING THAT CAN BOOST IT. I ALSO HAVE IBS IS THERE ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT MAY LIKE TO TELL ME HOW THEY COPE WITH THIS AWFUL DISEASE?
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    I found this off of the internet:

"Drink plenty of water
    Green Tea
    Apples and pears
    Oatmeal
    Broccoli
    Low-Fat Yogurt
    Grapefruit
    Hot Peppers
    Lean Beef, Pork, Chicken, and Turkey
    Salmon, Tuna, and Sardines
    Soup

Small snacks can also help keep your body from running out of fuel, preventing those 3 p.m. office blahs. "When you restrict the number of calories your body has for fuel, your metabolic rate can drop temporarily," says Susan Roberts, Ph.D., chief of the energy-metabolism laboratory at Tufts University in Boston. That makes it easier to pack on the pounds and harder to burn them off again.

Here is how and why these super foods increase metabolic rate.

Each of these healthy foods and weight loss boosters will keep you full longer on less calories

Water rich fresh fruits, vegetables and soup will dilute the calories in your foods, so you can eat more and not overdue the calories

High fiber whole grains, fruits and nutritious veggies keep the digestive system on track as well as steady the insulin levels, which is going to prevent fat storage

Lean meats will boost the metabolism and burn calories, due to it taking more energy to digest than other foods"

As far as the IBS, I know that since I have been eating more green beans and brussel sprouts, it has caused temporary IBS for me. However, it seems to be temporary. you may want to consult with a doctor as some of the foods you are easting may increase your discomfort.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    here is a link to a page that I got from my GP. I do not have ibs, but I have other health issues that I refer to

http://www.karenhurd.com/inflammatoryboweldisease.html
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    Hi,

I also have IBS and find it especially challenging to manage symptoms while dieting, since having an empty stomach and intestines full of celery sticks is literally a death sentence!

What seems to work best for me is taking a Soluble Fiber supplement - first thing in the AM - before eating or drinking anything else. I use Citrucel (methlycellulose), the regular orange kind. If my symptoms are particularly bad, I'll take a couple more doses throughout the day. Each dose has 60 calories, but it's totally worth it!

The website www.helpforibs.com is TOTALLY amazing - and has literally given me my life back. I stumbled upon it about 3 years ago and can't say enough about it. They recommend specific ways to manage IBS through diet and exercise - and they also sell their own brand of soluble fiber supplement (which has no calories!). The site contains is a wealth of information, from clinical studies to message boards and recipes.

All the best to you!

chris
  • proudmom
    proudmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH