Roux-En-y gastric bypass patient!!!

Options
Hi, my name is Denise, I am a 36 year old mama to four boys, 17, 14, 11 and 6. I live in Arkansas, with my boys and husband of almost 19 years. I was born in California and moved to Arkansas when I was at a crucial age, 16. I found myself with no friends, nothing to do, so I stayed home eating Doritos and Oreos...possibly the start of, at least, the majority of my bad health habits...horrid porportions of "bad" foods and little to no excercise.

Well a little over a year later, and many pounds, I met my husband. Eight months and a week later, he was my husband! About a month later we were pregnant with our first son, and boy did I indulge in my cravings of chili cheese fries, hot fudge sauce and later on glazed donuts!!! Sixty pounds later, our beautiful boy was born. and with each additional child came additional pounds. Until finally July of 2010, at a weight of 434 pounds, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, diabetes, told my bad cholesterol was too high and good cholesterol was too low, and the cherry on top, my thyroid had quit working, and some other "bad news". I cried! Did the whole "why me thing". And then came to the realization that, I was not accomplishing anything, by whining.

After some research, and alot of prayer, a year later I was on the operating table, having rouz-en-y gastric bypass, weighing 354.5 pounds. Two weeks after surgery I weighed 334.5. Six weeks after surgery I weighed 322.5. And today, eight and a half weeks after surgery I weigh 309.2. I would not recommend this sugery for everyone, but would recommend anyone needing to lose alot of weight quickly, due to health problems, to definately consider and research it.

So, eight and a half weeks later I have lost weight and only take one of my 26 previous prescriptions. I am elated. I am like everyone else here, no matter the path you choose to lose weight, I am looking for support and willing to give support!

Replies

• beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Welcome~ feel free to add me. I am 5 years out from RnY~ See my blog if you want to know more about me : )
  • kenyabloodstone
    Options
    I am going in for a Roux-En-Y bypass in the next couple weeks date isn't set yet but should have the date on monday or tuesday and he said it will be within a week or two of the call. I'm scared about how hard it will be after the surgery, How much pain there will be, if I'll get really sick, how long it takes to heal, etc. Please give me any help and encouragement you can. I started on this site at 320 lbs and am now down to 303 lbs according to my scale and 297 according to my doctors scale his is probably more accurate. I have been on the pre-op diet for almost 3 weeks now and have lost 11 lbs already. I have gastroparesis so my stomach doesn't digest food and I can only eat high carb, low fat, low fiber, low protein diets which makes food hard to find and bad for you. I also have barrett's esophagus and was told if I didn't have this surgery I'd have esophageal cancer in the next couple years. The gastroparesis should be fixed by the bypass according to the doctor or at least greatly helped.
  • chooselifegail1
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve surgery on August 8th would love to be your friend! :laugh:
    I love my fitnesspal so far because it is so customizable to your needs and portions
    Just do not listen to the stuff about starvation mode in our case because we are under
    a Drs care it is ok.
  • sarahsmithard
    Options
    I am 6 years out - posted my Before pic in Success Stories today - I won't pretend it hasn't been ( and still continues to be) a rough ride, but 111 pounds down I have no regrets.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like x