looking for tomato ideas

Options
mightymom2
mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
I have this never ending supply of tomatoes suddenly. & I'm looking for some ways to use them, I've already made a spaggetti sauce, I would prefer something in the crock pot but I'll try whatever you throw at me...just no more tomatoes :grumble:

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hot and spicy salsa dip. Carrots, celery are my favourite crudites for dipping
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Soup! Alphabet, lentil, any kind of bean, vegetable....just throw the extra tomatoes in, chunked or pureed.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    omg send them to me. I eat them whole. In fact I want some right now.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Tomato soup, chili, lots of other ideas here: http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/229/

Caprese sandwiches, heavy on the tomato: 2 tomato slices for every slice of fresh mozzarella, shredded basil, a little balsamic vinegar drizzled on top ... on a baguette

I also love chunky avocados and tomatoes mixed with garlic and sweet onion. It makes a great topper for baked tortilla chips. Also super on salads.

Instead of tomato sauce, I frequently will roast tomatoes in the oven with onions. Sprinkle with pepper, cayenne, garlic powder. Cook up some pasta, and toss together.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Use sliced tomatoes and some oregano instead of pizza sauce on a pita bread, then add whatever other toppings you'd like. Bake about ten minutes - maybe 15.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Tomato risotto - YUM!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have a large garden and tend to have a surplus of tomatoes. I usually cook the majority of my tomatoes down for a ton of sauce, I freeze the excess then I have sauce from the garden throughout the fall and early winter. I come from an Italian family so we do pasta and sauce every Sunday.

These are some other things I like to do with my tomatoes:
    - use in a mixed green salad
    - pasta salads
    - bruschetta
    - taboule
    - tomato and mozzarella
    - tomato soup
    - lentils with a tomato base
    - vegetable soup with a tomato base
    - stuffed tomatoes - you can stuff with various rices or rice and beans then bake. Delish!
    - salsa
    - guacamole
    - put tomatoes on sandwiches/wraps
    - BLT's (I am a vegetarian so I use mock bacon)
    - shish-kebob's
    - grilled tomatoes - brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper then toss on the grill
    - couscous with tomatoes
    - potatoes, tomatoes, onions and herbs - mix together with some olive oil and bake until potatoes are golden brown
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Ohhhh, forgot to add one - It is a take on an eggplant parm -
    slice eggplant into thick slices
    slightly grill eggplant - maybe 3-4 minutes until it has the nice grill marks on it
    slice tomato thick but slightly thinner than the eggplant
    stack the tomato on top of the eggplant
    spinkle some bread crumbs on top
    top with some mozzarella
    put in oven an bake for about 10-15 min at 375
    top with fresh basil and enjoy!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    sorry this posted multiple times for some unknown reason
  • JNettie73
    Options
    multiple post
  • JNettie73
    Options
    another multiple post.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Last of the multiple posts. So sorry. I wish there was an option to delete the multiple posts.
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Last of the multiple posts. So sorry. I wish there was an option to delete the multiple posts.
    not a problem

and thanks for all the ideas
  • sallykath60
    Options
    go to allrecipes.com and look there is one called tomato pie goood might be to fatting don't know. i was getting 10-20 lbs a day from my garden, but now they are allmost gone i hate that.:bigsmile:
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I planted 90 tomato plants this year. My freezer is about half full of them. I make a pasta/pizza sauce that I can, but I like to do it all at once, so I freeze them. Once I take them out and process them I don't notice a difference in the taste.