Starvation mode

Options
I am told that I should eat 1970 calories......but I am finding it hard to do with healthy food....usually hit 1400 ish will I lose weight and not go into starvation mode !

Replies

• ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Best to eat the amount it says. Find some calorie dense foods, like avocado. Work these into what you eat to push yourself up. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to have a bit of chocolate everynight, for the last 300 or so ;-)! Or peanut butter, or two cookies or something. Nothing wrong with being able to have treats, but also, look for the healthier higher calorie foods. Good luck!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, provided you're not exercising above 200 burnt calories
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    They say to stay at or above 1200. :) you can search the forum and you'll find a lot of posts on this with a ton of information. that was one thing I noticed when I started - I was eating ALL the time and still under the calories they started me with. LOL as you lose weight, it'll adjust your daily calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is highly unlikely. You might be happier eating 1900 calories, but I wouldn't worry about only getting to 1400. As you progress, you will get better at making food choices and learn more how your body responds.

Right now, the last thing you have to worry about is "starvation mode".
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    1200 is for women... I think its about 1500-1600 for men...
  • russelljclarke
    Options

No, it;s for men too!
  • russelljclarke
    Options

No, it's for men too!

At least, that's what it set it at for me in my weight loss period
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    1200 net calories is for women. I would try to get your calories up at least by a hundred and more with exercise.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It depends, I believe if you are just starting out, and you can get 1400 "healthy" calories in, and you are not hungry or weak, then stick with that, you will loose weight. If you stop loosing weight for a significant amount of time, or feel sick then "Yes" increase your calories. Good Luck.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    1200 is for women, the minimum for men is 1500.

Just try eating some things that are dense in calories, maybe have almonds or a piece of good quality dark chocolate as a snack.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 1400 calories per day but also walking for about an hour a day at 2.5 mph on a running machine which burns up about 400 calories..............does this now mean that i must increase my calorific intake by 400 that i have used ?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 1400 calories per day but also walking for about an hour a day at 2.5 mph on a running machine which burns up about 400 calories..............does this now mean that i must increase my calorific intake by 400 that i have used ?

You would want to increase it, if you don't it's the same as only eating 1000 calories and after a while your energy levels and metabolism will drop. You'll get more out of your exercise if your body is properly fueled. :)