Couch to 5K Runners 1/5 - 1/11

Options
Hi C25k runners! Someone dug up the old thread this morning and it inspired me to check in with everyone. Where are you all at in your program? Any roadblocks? Major sucesses? Share!

Thanks to my new orthotics and running shoes I completed Week 1 for the first time yesterday. :bigsmile:

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hi C25k runners! Someone dug up the old thread this morning and it inspired me to check in with everyone. Where are you all at in your program? Any roadblocks? Major sucesses? Share!

Thanks to my new orthotics and running shoes I completed Week 1 for the first time yesterday. :bigsmile:
  • supermom1114
    Options
    I really want to start this program but according to my HRM I cant run yet or else I get out of the designated zones, I have to switch between fast powerwalking and slower powerwalking :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    I need a HRM... badly. :grumble: Is there any way to approximate when you should slow down when you're running? :ohwell:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I had run week one with no problem. (Big exertion, but no problem.)
    I moved to week two a couple weeks ago. I started really well, but am stuck with my body trying to quit on me. If it's not my shins aching, it's my lungs refusing to move air correctly to let me run it. :grumble:
    Today, I ran ten minutes of 1:1 running/walking. It felt easy enough, so I'm building back up to week two.

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM.
    I'm struggling, but I'm an asthmatic, smoker who hasn't run since 1994. Of COURSE I'm going to struggle, but I love a challenge!! :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Also, I have an HRM and love it.
    Without an HRM, you could probably use the handlebar HRM on the treadmill to get a fairly accurate HR.

Is there a target HR or HR range we should be in while running? I haven't been paying much attention to my HR. I mean, I know where it tends to hit (top and bottom) but I don't concern myself with it. I focus on breathing. Should I be looking at my running HR??

Also, I'm going to break down and go buy new running shoes. Although mine appear to be in great condition, I think the support has been broken down. I'm thinking the cheapest New Balance running shoes I can find. I love New Balance. They fit my feet best.
  • carlotta
    carlotta Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i'm back and really gonna make a go for it this time. i have started the couck 5k program before and i also by the end of week 2 have shin splints. its a great program and does work!

i run on the treadmill at a 6.0 and walk at a 4.0 for the first week. when i have to run more and walk less, the walk goes to a 3.8 but i still run at a 6.0.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Wow Carlotta, you are BUMPING it!!

My walk is at 3.4 (or a 3.6 if I'm feeling froggy!) and my run is a jog at 5.4 (or a 5.6 if I've got extra energy).
  • supermom1114
    Options
    I need a HRM... badly. :grumble: Is there any way to approximate when you should slow down when you're running? :ohwell:

I have a Polar F6 and it has a thing called OwnZone so it gives you upper and lower heart rate limits to stay in for light, moderate, and hard work outs. Theres more info about why you should follow your heart rate limits even if you feel like you could do more on the Polar website.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I have a Polar F6 and it has a thing called OwnZone so it gives you upper and lower heart rate limits to stay in for light, moderate, and hard work outs. Theres more info about why you should follow your heart rate limits even if you feel like you could do more on the Polar website.

Thanks, I'll have to go to Polar's website and check it out. :wink: (I have a Reebok HRM.)
  • carlotta
    carlotta Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow Carlotta, you are BUMPING it!!

My walk is at 3.4 (or a 3.6 if I'm feeling froggy!) and my run is a jog at 5.4 (or a 5.6 if I've got extra energy).

it seems like it huh. maybe i should tone it down some and then i wont get shin splints so fast or at all!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Is there a target HR or HR range we should be in while running? I haven't been paying much attention to my HR. I mean, I know where it tends to hit (top and bottom) but I don't concern myself with it. I focus on breathing. Should I be looking at my running HR??

Hrm, there are a couple really good medically minded posts about this, I will try to go dig them up, because I'm curious too. I think they said you want to stay at about 70-80% of your max heart rate for fat burning. Something about energy...lungs...oxygen... *sigh* I will need to find it. :laugh: :blushing:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Okay, this wasnt an MFP post but I found it here: http://www.weightlossexerciseprograms.com/optimal-fat-burning-heart-rate.html

The optimum heart rate zone for burning fat is 60% - 70% of your maximum heart rate threshold. Exercising in the fat burning heart rate zone will promote the burning of fat because the body draws on fat stores and combines them with oxygen to produce fuel for your muscles. If your heart rate falls below the optimum heart rate, the body is not working hard enough to be of any benefit. If your exercise is too intense and your heart rate exceeds 70% for an extended period of time, the body draws on glycogen (carbohydrates) instead of fat, because glycogen is stored in the muscles and is easier to access and burn. Therefore, you lose the benefit of burning fat.

Crazy!:noway: