Caffeine

stacyk
stacyk Posts: 12 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
My biggest vice....but I am wondering what affect caffeine has on weight loss. If you log coffee or tea it doesn't have any calories but does it metabolically do something in the body that hinders weight loss? Just curious?

Replies

• stacyk
    My biggest vice....but I am wondering what affect caffeine has on weight loss. If you log coffee or tea it doesn't have any calories but does it metabolically do something in the body that hinders weight loss? Just curious?
  • i think the biggest thing with caffeine is the crash..... as far as the calories, i think black coffee is fine... it's when you ad the sugar and creamers... my opinion though...
  • I have heard that caffiene hinders weight loss. You might google it and see.
  • stacyk
    Got to love google!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    In my research, caffeine can be seen as both positive and negative in terms of weight loss.

On theory is that caffeine is a hunger driver, and effects insulin, so it is a strict no-no while following certain diets (Suzanne Somers diets, Dr. Berenstien Diet, etc).

Another theory is that a steady stream of caffeine in the system can have a thermogenic affect, in that it slightly raises metabolism, and helps to increase energy (or the feeling of having energy) during a time of calorie deficit. Think Green Tea supplements, caffeine in diet pills, etc.

My personal thought is to use it as it suits you! While I was losing weight, I had my one coffee in the morning, and then green tea throughout the morning, and I did feel the 'lift' of the caffeine, and noticed no increase in appetite.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Great question...I :heart: my coffee!!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    The main reason I limit my caffeine intake is that it is a diuretic, and if I have more than one cup of coffee, it starts to counteract the effects of the water I am drinking and makes me pee more. So I go easy on it, as I really don't want to drink extra water in order to make up for what's being lost. It's like having to do every thing twice in order to be beneficial.

But on the other hand, it supposedly is a performance enhancer, so a shot of espresso may be exactly what you need prior to a workout.

Shrug.

To each his own.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I think, as with anything else, that caffeine is okay when used in moderation!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    The main reason I limit my caffeine intake is that it is a diuretic, and if I have more than one cup of coffee, it starts to counteract the effects of the water I am drinking and makes me pee more. So I go easy on it, as I really don't want to drink extra water in order to make up for what's being lost. It's like having to do every thing twice in order to be beneficial.

But on the other hand, it supposedly is a performance enhancer, so a shot of espresso may be exactly what you need prior to a workout.

Shrug.

To each his own.

It's true on that note - I had to make a deal with my naturopathic doctor, that for every cup of coffee I drink, I drink 2 glasses of water! Lot's of visits to the ladies room....
    :ohwell:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Caffeine is one of the ingredients in weight loss pills. It can cause a slight increase in heart rate and some believe it helps contribute to weight loss. I'm skeptical, but I have read that it can contribute to increasing metabolism.

On the health side I know there are a number of potential issues. My doctor once told me that caffiene has been linked to increased incidents of breast lumps. It can exasperate anxiety and, especially for those who suffer from GAD or other forms of depression, it can increase those feelings. Excessive use can contribute to irregular heart beats.....I think there a there are a lot of others as well.

As with most things, moderation seems to be the key.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Caffeine and Wine...... two things that hinder my weight loss.... two things I love.. I kept the daily coffees though..using splenda and fat free creamers...and wine for special dinners...or weekends ..or..to unwind..or..... no wonder i'm not loosing any more weight hahahaa!!
This discussion has been closed.