Ever felt too shamed to come back?

Today is my first day back to the site in the last 3 weeks. Over the last few weeks there were times when I wanted to come back, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I was eating so bad, and just getting worse by each day. The fact that I knew I was getting fat, made me depressed so I ate more! I was using the excuse of I'm just juggling to much. I'm currently working full time and taking over the maximum amount of credits in college a semester! I don't want to keep using that as an excuse, I don't want to keep feeling so fat, and I'm ready for that "I'm actually getting healthy" ad that "I'm making a change" feeling again.Working out and eating right used to help my mood, and helped me feel better seriously! The hardest part I think for me is returning and reality setting in that I have to lose the weight I've gained over the last few weeks just 2 get back on track with my goal weight! I've pushed myself even futher behind than I was, I mean I could understand if I had maintained, and although I'm not sure how much I've gained, it's quite obvious all over that I have! Has anyone ever felt this way, if so what helped you come back?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    I have some MFP friends that have been missing for weeks. I would love to see them return! So don't feel ashamed, feel proud, never give up!
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Today is a new day. Jump back in .....:smile:
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Have never been in that spot my self, BUT, can relate to it...

Your back... thats what matters :)

We all know what its like to think we have let people down.

My thinking is now though. Im not letting anyone down but me. I can control this...

Good luck, :)

and Welcome back :)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    There's nothing to be ashamed of. I'd bet my life that 90% of the people here have done the exact same things (otherwise they wouldn't be here), so I can rest easy knowing that if I do leave, I can always come back. It's more shameful if I stay away!
  • I'm right there with you. I have been struggling with the exact same things. I know I have to get back on it, but I just lack the motivation. The same motivation that I had that helped me lose over 40 pounds!! I've decided to start back tomorrow and take it one day at a time. Maybe even one meal at a time. I work full time and have a 2 hour commute everyday to and from work. My job is very stressful and is very mentally exhausting. But i too was feeling so much better when i was on track. i want to get back to that. Let's do it together. Lets motivat each other and check in with each other everyday. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,301 Member
    There is no shame in it. You made some 'less than ideal food choices." You are still of the same character. Being ashamed should be reserved for how we carelessly may treat others and how we may take for granted the good things in our lives. Don't look back. Welcome back.
  • I understand how you feel, but you can get back on the wagon today. don't look back at the past few weeks they are over and done with and it's no reason to completely give up. You can do it! Get back into the swing of things and remember to take things meal by meal, day by day, week by week, and it will get easier every day. : )
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Nothing to be ashamed about. Yes this place is about accountability, but you know what, it is also about support, and most people here would know about falling down and getting up again. Do what you have to do to be the best you can be today.

GG
  • I understand how you feel too. Just remember we are all in the same boat. We are all here for the same reason as you.
  • 99% of life is just showing up. Glad you chose to show up here! :flowerforyou:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    The trick is to start NOW. No waiting till tomorrow. You CAN do it. I know.

This may encourage you
    http://thedancingcyclist.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/helloworld/
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    You get your butt back here! Shame or no... we love and support you anyways!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    welcome back!! i get embarrassed too, especially because my diary is open, but no one is perfect, we all have better times and worse times, the only way to win is to keep trying.
  • oh, honey, dont beat urself up! life is about trial and error. you might have to face the "music" so to speak and decide enough is enough. with your busy schedule is sometimes impossible to try to eat healthy and exercise, iknow because iam there. i work, i go to school and i am a sigle parent. its tough but this your health at risk. start slowly making changes in your life . dont go on a diet!! they dont work! here are some tips:
    switch white bread with wheat! also, they have this flat buns that are only 100cals
    bring a water bottle with you at all time. cut sodas, juice slowly. if u always have a jug of water with you you wont give in to the soda machine.
    eat a big(ger) breakfast, reg. lunch and light dinner.
    include veggies with every meal. also, make your meats or carbs the smaller serving on the plate and the veggies the biggest.measure your portions!
    bring healthy snacks or meals with you when on the go.
    get rid of the unhealthy options in the house and replace w lots of fruit and veggies. if they are not there how are u gonna eat them?
    walk! even if its on campus or at the store. cleaning counts as a exercise as well
    this are just a few lil tips that worked for me. i made life style changes and i dropped about 50lbs over the course of some months. hope they work for you..and dont be harsh on your self as long as you are taking charge and take care of yourself.xoxoxo
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    I have felt shame - but not so ashamed that I wouldn't come back. This tool is TOO USEFUL. I could see myself being very embarrassed and I would understand if some friends had removed me if I had been gone for a while... but I would still come back.

Because - when you give up - that is when you fail.

So - congratulations for coming back!! You take it day by day, meal by meal if necessary!

You can do it!!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Here you get a do over. Nobody is perfect. Good luck.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Don't feel ashamed you came back didn't you? Write off the last few weeks and start up again today. It is not how many times we fall it is getting back up and keep going. This is a long journey and we are going to face challenges the entire way and even when we reach goal we will still face those challenges. Don't let one day ruin the entire week just get up and keep going. If you need encouragement and accountability add friends it is the best thing for me and let them view your food diary to help keep yourself in check. You can add me if you like! Don't give up you can do anything you set your mind to!!!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    You're overextended. It is not an excuse, it is a fact. You can only do what you can. Look up your maintenance calorie goal. Then look up your goal calories for losing. Try to stay between those two as guidelines. Life is too short to spend much time in shame. Three days back on the bicycle and you'll feel better.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Absolutely! As someone who has been overweight since I was 4, I have done it all! This is the place where you will find the support of lots of people who totally understand everything you are going through with weight loss. This is the place where you never need to feel ashamed! Congrats on finding the courage to come back! It helps to log in every day. I believe that every time you even think about your food and exercise plan, you are one step closer to actually living a healthier life. You won't be perfect because no one ever is. That's ok. It doesn't matter whether you were out of control for three weeks, or three years. Today is a new day. A chance to do it right. So forgive yourself and move forward. We are cheering for you. Good luck.
  • Kphenderson
    Kphenderson Posts: 60 Member
    Thank you all SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the comments. They brought tears to my eyes and inspiration to my heart!! I'm so ready to do this again, andI look forward to interacting with people on My fitness pal. Feel free to add me as a friend. P.S Every single comment helped, I appreciate it so much. I feel like I can do this now, and the support from you all is amazing. Thanks, Thanks, thanks!!!!!!