fasting?

Options
does anyone have any advice on fasting for a couple days to detox one's system?

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid plan commonly employed by people with no will power looking for a quick and easy fix rather than the healthy way.

End of advice
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid plan commonly employed by people with no will power looking for a quick and easy fix rather than the healthy way.
    I'd say this part is accurate for diet pills, and cleanses and the like but fasting works for a lot of people to not be worried about food for a period of time. Dinner to dinner, 72-hour famine via school etc.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Amo-Angelus is blunt but 100% correct. Fasting has no health benefit whatsoever. Your body does not need any wacky "assistance," as it's fully capable of detoxing itself.
  • rider797
    Options
    you will be hard pressed to find a more controvercial subject within the diet world. However I stand on the side of the fence that fasting not bad for you in fact the opposite. Rather fasting done in the right manner is very good for you and your body.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My niece swears by it. I don't know if it is a true fast or what. She does fresh juice and will drink it for up to a week. She is a healthy BMI so is not doing it for weight loss but detox. Just don't stop eating and drink only water!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Amo-Angelus is blunt but 100% correct. Fasting has no health benefit whatsoever. Your body does not need any wacky "assistance," as it's fully capable of detoxing itself.

Yes. We have kidneys and a liver for a reason, they clean out our body. As long as you're eating health foods, drinking plenty of water and are avoiding junk foods, you won't be putting any toxins in your body and your organs will clean out what is already there.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i personally wouldn't fast for a "few days" but i do fast every day for 16-20 hrs depending on schedule
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options

As to detoxing, that is not needed as unless your body is not functioning properly you have nothing to detox, but to say fasting has no health benefits whatsoever is simply wrong. A short fast of say 24 hours will speed up your metabolism through that time, it will increase insulin sensitivity, it will increase the hormone gylucagon (sp?) just to name a few. On top of that if you don't have a health problem that would counter indicate doing a 24 hour fast, it will help your body burn fat during that time. Perhaps you should research all the clinical work done on fasting and the benefits it brings before you make a blanket statement like that.
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    Not smart to do if you are trying to lose weight as you body will think it is in starvation mode and will store fat.

I did a cleanse one week on this diet and gained 5 pounds. I had no energy what so ever and all I was eating was fruits and vegetable. Did it three days and crashed.

I will never do that again after reading up on the colon and what you really need to do.

You can clean out your system by eating right, exercising/cardio to sweat out the toxins, plus drinking plenty of water.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any advice on fasting for a couple days to detox one's system?
    Why do they call it a "fast" when it goes so damn slow?? -- Gallagher
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

End of advice

what's your healthy way
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i was looking at something like this:
    http://life.gaiam.com/article/1-2-3-detox-radiance#Carrot and Beet Juice recipe

i always liked fasting in the past because it seemed to improve mental clarity, but i have not done it in recent years; it 's odd that some people consider it a "quick fix" like it's easy, since it seems difficult, but i think some people just jump at the chance to be self-righteous... generally it doesn't sound like a good way to lose weight (especially not in the long term) but i know that others have had positive experiences with other aspects.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    IMO, I'd rather do a liquid cleansing - cucumber juice, organic apple juice, almond miilk for a day. Also added some tomatoes and mushrooms. I have done a complete fast for a day, and was sooo deprived, I gorged the next couple of days to make up for it. Each one of us is individual, and I guess if it works for you, but I would never suggest it.
  • lanaholt
    Options
    I agree this is a controversial subject. Some folks do them to take the quick "easy" route. Cleanses can be very healthy and detoxify the body if done correctly. They are not supposed to be a lazy shortcut. They are meant to be a part of a healthy life. You don't cleanse after Thanksgiving because you just gorged yourself. You might want to do it when you are making a new start on your way to proper eating and nutrition. It's not a quick fix.