claritin

Options
So I was at a friends house this weekend and one of the girls asked another chick how she lost all her weight.. and I was just shocked by her statement.. she said caffine and claritin. I couldn't believe that claritin would even do anything for her, but she swears by it. Anyone even heard of this.. and before I get slammed I AM NOT going to use this myself.. I was just seeing if anyone heard of this.. I'm going with counting calories and working out..

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My mom is addicted to claritin, I wouldnt be surprised
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get a really bad head cold/sinus infection, I take Sudafed PE, and I lose weight. It kills my appetite, and I can go all day with eating very little. I don't do it on purpose, but I can see how some medications can be abused to lose weight. Claritin is NOT supposed to be taken for more than 7 days...says so on the bottle because it can cause severe liver damage if taken for longer periods of time.

Some people are just stupid. You can tell your friend I said that. :wink:
  • kgschel
    Options
    I'm a physician. There is no evidence that claritin (or other antihistamines) causes weight loss. Perhaps as another poster suggests this could be due to claritin suppressing appetite, though most antihistamines if anything have the opposite effect. Bottom line, don't believe that claritin is some new weight loss miracle for the average person.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    my guess is that someone told them pseudoephedrine (which is found in claritin) and caffeine would be the same as the EC stack, which it's not
  • Carrie704
    Options
    every time i take sudafed or allergy meds i feel sick to my stomach.. thats probably why, but i also get tired and drained. i cant workout on those darn medicines. i DONT think its a good idea to take them for weight loss! i dont even take them when i am congested since i hate the way they make me feel!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    my guess is that someone told them pseudoephedrine (which is found in claritin) and caffeine would be the same as the EC stack, which it's not

Claritin as an ECA replacement, LOL
    Anybody who knows what's up knows it's all about the Bronkaid LOL.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yea, as said above, Im assumeing she meant claritin-d, which contains pseudophederane, which is an amphetamine. Ive never heard of this working, I dont really believe it would, but realize that psuedophedrine is the main ingredient in Methamphetamine, and that does cause extreme weight loss. IMHO, it really wouldnt work
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    oooohh.. i wouldn't recommend that as a weight loss program!!!
    pharmaceuticals are bad enough as it is! :o
  • kgschel
    Options
    Yes it is technically an amphetamine-class drug but it is a legal OTC medication that is safe for most people when used as directed (as a decongestant) and unless you cook it into meth it really doesn't have potential for addiction.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I was at a friends house this weekend and one of the girls asked another chick how she lost all her weight.. and I was just shocked by her statement.. she said caffine and claritin. I couldn't believe that claritin would even do anything for her, but she swears by it. Anyone even heard of this.. and before I get slammed I AM NOT going to use this myself.. I was just seeing if anyone heard of this.. I'm going with counting calories and working out..

Joining the conversation late but YES... I think this works. Stimulates norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter that activates hormone-sensitive lipase, the enzyme that causes lipolysis. You burn fat and your appetite is therefore curbed. I think some people have a catecholamine deficiency which makes them hungry all the time (me).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Claritin is just loratadine. Claritin-D is loratadine + pseudo-ephedrine. That is why Cartman demands Claritin-D.

Either way, as a weight loss aid? LOLOLOLOLOL
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I know that when I take Claritin-D for allergies, I have to remind myself to eat that day. It's a strong appetite suppressant.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Claritin is NOT supposed to be taken for more than 7 days...says so on the bottle because it can cause severe liver damage if taken for longer periods of time.

Go read your bottle again.

Claritin is a drug that only works once it has been in your system for at least a week. You're supposed to take it every day.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    my weight loss trick is....BENADRYL! after popping a couple of those, i sleep right through ANY meal! XD
  • foomatson
    foomatson Posts: 1
    Options
    my co-workers and i believe that it does supress your hunger . we all have allergies and its the claritin d that does it we joke that were on the claritan diet... however we only use it for our allergies .
  • hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i take claritin daily from march to september....doesn;t help my weight loss!!!
  • StephWinn
    StephWinn Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree with what someone said above that antihistamines can actually cause weight gain. I have been on antihistamines daily for over 10 years. And obviously, it didnt do anything for me. I highly doubt that claritin had anything to do with weight loss.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you are going to take a drug to lose weight why not just cut out the faffing and go straight for Amphetamines. Meth would kill your appetite stone dead and as long as you can take the weakened bones, teeth and hair falling out and generally changing into a paranoid basket case then you'll be fine. And you'll look terrific on the scales.

You wont really.

And by you I don't mean anyone in particular :)
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    as a pharmacist, i am rolling my eyes at this post.. :indifferent:
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Claritin is NOT supposed to be taken for more than 7 days...says so on the bottle because it can cause severe liver damage if taken for longer periods of time.

Go read your bottle again.

Claritin is a drug that only works once it has been in your system for at least a week. You're supposed to take it every day.

This. You might be confusing Claritin with Tylenol (acetaminophen). Claritin doesn't do crap for me unless I take it faithfully for a week or more. I usually just take Benadryl or chlorpheniramine as needed for my allergies (followed by a nap).

Either way, like everyone else said, there's a possibility that the Claritin the OP's friend is talking about is Claritin-D, which has pseudoephedrine in it. You can't purchase anything containing pseudoephedrine in Iowa (legally) without signing off for it and having your driver's license scanned by a pharmacist or pharmacy tech, and there's a daily and monthly limit on how much you can buy. (Thanks, tweakers!) The PE version doesn't do squat for my sinus congestion, so I just sign off in blood every few months and pony up for the good stuff at the pharmacy (thankfully most stores are still carrying generics and didn't jack up the price), and don't take it unless I really need it.