Sugar Addict

Options
Okay, this question is really cause I need help for my mom.

She is a diabetic and LOVES sugar (:sick:... I am a savory girl myself).
Her doctors REALLY get on her case to lose weight, she's been doing good, lost weight (weighs less then me now), does WW.... but she has NO control when it comes to sweets.

This holiday season she did MASSIVE amounts of goodies (to give away) but of course she samples, then she made orange rolls, then she made MORE cookies the other day, then brownies (cause my tiny-mite loves them).... it just goes on and on.

She doesn't trust herself with ANY sweets (no candy, no soda, nada).
I told her to dump it all... I know it kills her cause she spent money on it....but it's making her sick and feel horrible about herself. Lets face it... I don't need it...but I'll eat it if it's there (just ask me about the pecan bars today:cry: )

What other advice, solutions....anything can I give her?

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Okay, this question is really cause I need help for my mom.

She is a diabetic and LOVES sugar (:sick:... I am a savory girl myself).
    Her doctors REALLY get on her case to lose weight, she's been doing good, lost weight (weighs less then me now), does WW.... but she has NO control when it comes to sweets.

This holiday season she did MASSIVE amounts of goodies (to give away) but of course she samples, then she made orange rolls, then she made MORE cookies the other day, then brownies (cause my tiny-mite loves them).... it just goes on and on.

She doesn't trust herself with ANY sweets (no candy, no soda, nada).
    I told her to dump it all... I know it kills her cause she spent money on it....but it's making her sick and feel horrible about herself. Lets face it... I don't need it...but I'll eat it if it's there (just ask me about the pecan bars today:cry: )

What other advice, solutions....anything can I give her?
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    just let her know how much she really doesn't need it and how unhealthy it is for her and throwing them out will be better in the long run for everyone:flowerforyou:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If she really enjoys eating and cooking sweet foods, get her a splenda (or other artificial sweetner) cookbook. My grandfather is a diabetic and I always make him sugar-free deserts (he loves sweets too), and I make extra for myself. They almost always taste as good as the real thing. That way she could have her sweets but not be unhealthy!
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try this website:

http://www.diabeticpastrychef.com/

and here is another one by Kraft Foods:

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/diabetic/main.aspx?s=diabetic&m=main_content

I know that for my grandmother (she was a sugar addict too) that we simply would find recipes that catered to diabetics meaning that they had reduced/no sugar. She also limited her intake even of these types of treats.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    If she really enjoys eating and cooking sweet foods, get her a splenda (or other artificial sweetner) cookbook. My grandfather is a diabetic and I always make him sugar-free deserts (he loves sweets too), and I make extra for myself. They almost always taste as good as the real thing. That way she could have her sweets but not be unhealthy!

See I've tried this.... I mean cause to me sweets are sweets.
    She complains about the flavor, texture...blah....
    Whereas I suck it up cause it's healthier.
    She also says she has no luck baking with Splenda (even the baking kind).
    Are we doing something wrong?

In my world it's easy dump it, don't buy it again.
    If you do need/want to buy it... make sure it's an inconvenience so you have to think about it longer (I'll tell you what...going out in this weather has kept me from downing an Eggnog Shake the last 2 weeks).
  • ladybug3
    Options
    Be careful with Splenda. :frown: My dad is a diabetic and his sugar still spikes when using splenda.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend that she throw everything away. If she can donate all the baked goods and chocolate she has to a charity (homeless shelter, nursing home etc) she may be able to know the good that comes from giving it away. It will make her feel better if she can make someone elses day. If that option isn't available, yes.....def throw it in the garbage, take the garbage out and put it in the lane. Lord knows. I've thrown stuff in the garbage and then went and got it. GROSS!!! now you know my dirty secrets. :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Be careful with Splenda. :frown: My dad is a diabetic and his sugar still spikes when using splenda.
    good point...I was thinking the very same thing.

I'm T2 and for me the thing that worked best was quit all simple carbs all together until you get your body clean again, then after gaining back control if you feel you can have a treat I say go for it (on rare occasions and very carefully amounts). Sweets are not the only issue with diabetics...it's any simple carbs, chips, potatoes (doesn't mean you can't enjoy potatoes, just would want to definitely eat them along with protein so your sugar doesn't spike right off...protein (cause of the fat too) helps slow down the rate your body metabolizes sugar)

It's so dangerous for diabetics to be out of control with simple carbs but just like any of us know...they are very addicting and hard to get away from when we're in the grip! I know many simply cut back but some folks actually have to give them up for a fair bit of time for their bodies to get rid of it all out of their system .... fruits and great for adding some sweetness in your life, but also we diabetics still need to be cautious that we add protein along with it. Dried fruits you have to be super careful with as well being a diabetic, making sure not only are they not sweetened but the intensity of the natural sweetness can spike big time but it is an option!

It's tough Bunny:ohwell: .... we all know how addictive carbs can be.... and especially when we're trying to help another person it makes it even tougher because it has to be their decision and something has to simply CLICK in the person either a health scare, or the lighbulb going off realizing life is being shortened if a person continues on that path... well Bunny you know all the sorts of things that can happen when it's out of control for a person I imagine being a teacher.

Some folks think.. 'hey' " so I lose a leg, it won't be for a long time or big deal if I go blind...I'll be old then and I'd rather enjoy life with my sweets now (yea I've heard many people actually say this...ack, scary:noway: ) but the thing is out of control A1C's are like a ticking time bomb can go off at any moment, strokes in 20 year olds aren't that uncommon anymore with diabetics because of all the sodsa, and junk food they grew up with..... :ohwell:

Well, enough on that for now....perhaps you Mom's doc or a diabetes class in her area might truly help her understand the dangers and the severity of not eating a healthy diet and keeping the numbers low.

I went from 13.9 last year (yes, OMG..high!) to now 4.7 A1C this year (actually within only 6 months it dropped down that low...so proud).:drinker: :bigsmile: A non diabetic person is around 5-ish. I wish you well in helping her find something to help her really understand sweets today are so not worth what the future will hold if it's kept up... I myself truly didn't understand the seriousness of it until I lost my Dad and Brother in Law of complications not that long ago and took a class myself on it when I was diagnoised. It has truly opened my eyes on what's worth it now! Cookies? not so much!:noway:

just some thoughts on the matter hope something here might help:flowerforyou:
    FC:heart:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    That's the killer, as a health teacher I know all the medical stuff.
    Her doctors have told her over and over.
    She does great for a while then BOOM!

She knows why it's bad and what it does....
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    That's the killer, as a health teacher I know all the medical stuff.
    Her doctors have told her over and over.
    She does great for a while then BOOM!

She knows why it's bad and what it does....
    It's tough:ohwell: It's a lifelong journey like we're all on here... untimately it'll be her making a lasting change when she truly gets how serious the complications can get. :noway: