Too much Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also adjusted mine to the percentages in the "Zone" diet (40% protein/30%carbs/30% fat). I may take 5% from the fat and add it to the carbs (I'm still playing with my balances). However, there are two things you need to watch when you raise protein: a) water and b) FIBER. You NEED to hit or exceed your FIBER goals, because high protein can have adverse gastrointestinal effects, otherwise. Beans and green, leafy vegetables are my friends.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I eat my weight in protein!
    What that means is my weight goal is appx 130lbs.
    My protein goal for the day ia appx 130g.
    Now if im not drinking enough water throughout the day I can get constipated!
    YIKES!!!
    Also without water and fiber my kidneys will work 3x harder to process the protein.
    This slows down production and can cause extra weight gain in the form of FAT!!!!
    Oh noes!!!
    So ideal times to eat high protein is after working out.
    Fast actin protein like whey protein are key for building muscle (every pound burns 50 more calories).
    Then later in the day having slow burning protein like chicken, eggs or any meat.
    to cut down on muscle loss while sleeping use casien protein or eat a cup of plain greek yougurt with a tbsp of agave nectar.
    Remember! Muscles are made of protein and when you damage them by working out...you must eat/drink more protein!

MSG me if you have any protein questions!
    =D
  • allready_gone
    Options
    I changed my protein setting to reflect the minimum amount recommended for my body weight which is approximately 75 grams. Are you at MFP's default level for protein or have you edited it for your nutritional needs?

How did you figure the recommended amount for your body weight out?

There's actually a formula. Here's a link to one website that has it but if you google you'll find a lot of info. It basically breaks down to half your body weight when you do the math. http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How much protein you need depends a lot on your workouts.

Because ('m doing intense training, I need to eat protein and carbs 5 times a day.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I changed my protein setting to reflect the minimum amount recommended for my body weight which is approximately 75 grams. Are you at MFP's default level for protein or have you edited it for your nutritional needs?

How did you figure the recommended amount for your body weight out?

Your weight but in grams. IE If you weigh 144lbs you should aim for 144g of protein. protein is 4kcal/g and carbs are 4kcal/gr fats are 9kcal/gr. you can use this to figure what % of each your total calories should come from. I would keep fats at no more than 20%.

The actual recommendations for fat is 35%. Eating too little fat actually hurts fat loss. Fat is a major endocrine organ for the body, responsible for creating hormones to regulate body function. If you don't eat enough fats, your body will hang onto the fat you have.

actually it's between 20 and 30%....