Am I correct that when toning vs. building muscles ...

Options
Slower reps tone, and fast pumps build muscle?? I forget. I want to tone my arms and legs, not build muscle. Am I correct that the slower and steady lifting = toning, and fast reps = muscle??

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    From what I know it's more
    Lower weights, higher and fast repetitions = useless
    Higher weights, slower lower repetition = results

Read the new rules of lifting for women.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning" muscle. You are either building muscle, or not building muscle.

Lift heavy, and low reps.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I like this thread!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    163131_484767357675_22565487675_6305866_3643729_n.jpg
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    What yanicka and tigersword said.
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Why would you not want to build muscle? More muscle = higher metabolism = easier to lose weight!
    It is to my knowledge that if you can do more than 12 reps easily your probably not using enough weight, don't be scared your not gonna turn into she hulk from making your strength training more challenging.
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Speed doesn't matter. For toning, or shreding, use 4 (sets) x12-15 (reps) with as much as you can lift. Muscle size/weight gain is REALLY hard to increase (my goal is 1/4 lb per week and it's all I do), so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    From what I know it's more
    Lower weights, higher and fast repetitions = useless
    Higher weights, slower lower repetition = results

Read the new rules of lifting for women.

This is 100% true! There is absolutely no point in light weights. If you want muscle definition you need to do cardio in conjunction with weight lifting and you need to lift heavy weights. I always lifted as heavy as I possibly could. I did 3 sets of up to 10 reps, sometimes more if I was close to the point of increasing weight. I never got huge muscles but I did start to get some nice definition.

I can't wait to get a weight set for our house and for this pregnancy to be over so I can get back to real exercise!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want to build muscle? More muscle = higher metabolism = easier to lose weight!
    It is to my knowledge that if you can do more than 12 reps easily your probably not using enough weight, don't be scared your not gonna turn into she hulk from making your strength training more challenging.

You won't actually build more muscle tissue if you're eating at a calorie deficit.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning" muscle. You are either building muscle, or not building muscle.

Lift heavy, and low reps.

Yeppers this! :) good luck!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Ladies, if your purse is heavier than the weight you are using...YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Go heavy or go home!!!!
  • vispa2002
    Options
    I m not a pro, but I have "30 Day Shred" - a 20 minute workout and "No More Trouble Zones"- a 40 minute workout DVDs by Jillian Michaels. I love them. Would highly recommed both of them for anyone who is just starting out. The 30 Day Shred is easier, I started out with it and moved on to the next one. I alternate between the two now. The results are unbelivable. I didnt do them every day, but in about 11 "30 Day Shred" wourkouts and 2 "No More Trouble Zones", I lost like 3 lbs and about 1 inch from my waist. I also run 2-3 miles 2-3 times a week.

Good luck. The key is not to stop when it gets to hard.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    "toning" is such a misunderstood concept. you tone-up by burning the fat that covers your muscles..and you will only show sleek muscular definition if you have built some degree of muscle. don't worry...NO ONE adds bulky muscles overnight unless you are on some form of HGH, steroid, or other testosterone accelerate. So, if you happen to do enough weights to actually build bulky muscles...you'd have enough warning to stop at a point that makes you happy with your "toning" efforts.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Ladies, if your purse is heavier than the weight you are using...YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!

^^^^^^ +1!!!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Lol!!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Speed doesn't matter. For toning, or shreding, use 4 (sets) x12-15 (reps) with as much as you can lift. Muscle size/weight gain is REALLY hard to increase (my goal is 1/4 lb per week and it's all I do), so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Speed makes a huge difference. The next time you lift, try doing 12 reps with the normal weight you lift, but do a 4-2-4 second cadence. 4 seconds on the positive, 2 seconds at the static and 4 seconds on the negative. I guarantee that you get a better pump than just throwing the weight up and letting it drop as fast as you can.
  • lucythinmint
    Options

and

"Go heavy or go home!!!!"

These guys got it!!! Love it! :drinker:

I did not see any results of anything until I got the man weight out! Go Big!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

hahaha!:wink: